Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

very occasional light primer strike

horseman

I have a new to me MP 9 MPH 6XXX probably early generation and I am having light primer strikes maybe 2 or 4 per hundred rounds. The odd thing is the rounds that go off have a very solid strike. Using factory ammo. Any thought's? It has had some trigger work of unknown source.

I have had light primer strikes with several of my M&Ps. I now run extra power striker springs in all of them and have never had a light strike with the extra power springs.

http://www.speedshoo...triker%20Spring

With the Apex sear I can't tell any difference in trigger pull between the standard and extra power striker springs.

You you absolutely sure that it's striking the primer at all? A lot of early guns had an issue with "dead trigger" which the trigger is non-functional after returning to battery. If you didn't miss the absence of the "click" and didn't check the primer afterwards it might be confused with a light primer strike.

Primers had a light hit which contrasted with the hard hit the primers usually show. Had some dead trigger issues with my .40 which became apparent on a 32 round hoser stage where a briefcase must be carried at all times in weak hand. Can't tell you how much fun it was to have a dead trigger 5 or 6 times that stage.

It took me about 4000 rounds before I had my first light strike and I had an apex kit in my gun for about 1000rds before it happened. I could tell because the primer was barely dented and I was able to try it a second time and it fired.

I put an extra power spring in it and havent had any others problems since.

I have had light primer strikes with several of my M&Ps. I now run extra power striker springs in all of them and have never had a light strike with the extra power springs.

http://www.speedshoo...triker%20Spring

With the Apex sear I can't tell any difference in trigger pull between the standard and extra power striker springs.

Were the springs installed on the old striker or new silver one?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Im having some issues with a 9mm 5" non pro. WIth apex sear and dak. I get some light hits with anything other than federal primers. I called S&W and they are sending me a new stryker. The gun is a year old but i think i have the old style as i have a two plastic cup retainer on the stryker spring.