Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY loading port opening

newguy2k3

This may or may not apply to a SLP; I spoke with Benny at the AR15 PRO/AM and he said he would port a 930 differently when using a "load 2" vice other methods of reloading. I think it has something to do with angle at the leading/trailing edge of the opening. Maybe he will chime in.

Or I could just be completely wrong.

Just something to think about since it’s like cutting a board, easy to do, hard to undo.

David E.

It is not what I would call hard. James went after his first, as a strong hand loader. I then did mine as a weak hand loader, and we both load TWinS now :D . Predator Tactical used our profiles to create their tool paths for the modifications so I know their profiles are proper. I just did two for the Marine Shooting team as well. I use a carbide cutter on a die grinder to get the shape, then a sanding disc on a mini die grinder followed by 400 grit wet sanding to smooth it all out. You do need to be careful with the pin on the right side (from the shooting position) to not grind too far into the hole and screw up the pin. I probably spent 10 hours grinding and sanding and testing over 2 months before I got what I wanted. I can do it in about 30 minutes now, but I know what I am after. The one midget posted, to me, is a little too sharp for TWinS loading, but fine for weak-hand. The edges being relatively flat help with the trapping of the front shell in TWinS loading, however that change does not hinder traditional weak hand loading.

Just a hint, disassemble and totally degrease the inside of the receiver to keep filings and such from getting in the rails. Clean it out good before re-assembly.

There is a tad more to be done than just opening the port on an SLP. Chamfering the lip on the chamber and posibly the mag tube end as well. Having looked carefully at about 10 SLPs, I have found that the insertion of the mag tube varies. On some, the last thread is actually too deep turning the end of the tube inwards and creating a little lip, which should be removed as well. I am starting to think some of the "phantom" malfunctions may be related to this. I saw one of the worst this past weekend. Guy could not get through 5 rounds without a malf, huge lip in the tube. My original one had no lip at all, second one had a small lip. I use a diamond cone shaped bit on the mini die grinder to remove the lip in the mag tube and chamfer the chamber.

Edited by MarkCO

its not hard to do yourself but remember, if you F/U and then try and send it to someone to try and fix you may run out of options. Go slow, and try it before going further, if you don't know exactly what you need.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog