Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI .40 Dot Tracker Loads

jetdriver71

Hello All! I'm getting 2 SVI SS .40 cal dot trackers long dust cover in a week...can't wait...and wondering if anyone out there has a good load for that gun. I talked to SVI and they recommended Hogden Clays 4.8gr with OAL 1.2100- 1.2300. Also Brandon gave me Chris Tilleys load of 4.5gr. Clays 200gr JHP OAL of 1.230- 1.2400. He said they have seen case seperation ecause of high pressure but was oft and quick sight recovery. Anyway if you have a similar gun and would like to share your pet load that would be great. Don't know if it matters but I'm 5'11" and 175lbs. and in good shape. perhaps someone similar in size could explain more accurately the "feel" of the gun. Thanks!!

Start with a little less powder, about 2 tenths and oal of about 1.185. Get ahold of a chrono and work up what work/ feels right to you . Gun and people like diff. things. Load ten to twenty like that add 10th as u go. Make sure they feed without any issues at all. That is, to me more important than the recoil, but Im only a "C".class shooter, but I don't have feeding issues. :cheers:

If you already ready know this excuse me, clays is a fast powder and with 200 or 180 bullets you have to be careful , any amount of overcharge , setback, or brass deficiency will cause you problems. Start with a med speed powder like titegroup, solo1000, n320 and load it under a180 bullet repeat about 5000 then try something different.

Hey Thanks Matt. I appreciate it. Have you worked with clays before. just talked to a local GM..Larry Brown.. he said Clays has pressure problems and the chrono differential could be more than 6% but "man is it soft". I''l give it a try> Thank you.

this is what i run thru my svi 40

4.5 clays

1.23 oal

180 gr jhp

now with 4.5 of clay i will average only 6fps diffrence over 10 shots. it is VERY consistant. but if its cold you will only make 164,500 power factor. which will drop you to minor. now since i dont want to put anymore clays in my round im am going to be switching to N320 from now on.

I have been a n320 guy for the last couple of years, but this year its so hard to get that i started using clays.

4.3g clays

mixed cases

fed spp

180 jhp

made 168 pf at area 7 with a very low SD

I dont like to load clays if N320 can be had. My 1050 had a bad day and i thought there may be a doubled charge so i tossed about 50 rounds the other day.

Set back will get you a new top end.

Hope this Helps

A