Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for VV N320

PSSOH22

Hey guys! I was wondering on some load data for 9mm and VV. I was using REDDOT and 231 for awhile, but just got 4lb's of 320 and need to load up some old bullets i have laying around. Ive got 115 and 147 jacketed, and 124 LRN.

No kidding! Anybody know why N320 is in short supply right now?

Supposedly, a container from Finland is "lost" or at least that's what my supplier is telling me. If it's not found, it may be March before we see more N320 :(

Supposedly, a container from Finland is "lost" or at least that's what my supplier is telling me. If it's not found, it may be March before we see more N320 :(

Good thing I have 12 pounds in the garage!

My favorite 9mm load was 2.8gr of 320 with a 160gr moly bullet.

I think I bumped to 3.4gr with a 147 Montana Gold

Edited by waktasz

I am actually shoot IDPA and im not sure what pf is. I will have to check to make sure

IDPA power floor for SSP and ESP and USPSA Minor power factor are the same. 125 or 125,000 , depending on how you look at it.

I am actually shoot IDPA and im not sure what pf is. I will have to check to make sure

IDPA power floor for SSP and ESP and USPSA Minor power factor are the same. 125 or 125,000 , depending on how you look at it.

Gotcha! I appreciate the response. I will have to do a little load devolpment i guess, no biggie! Ive never used a 160 gr before.

Good point. I've spent the past few days looking for a 4 pounder, and everyone says they've been out of stock for months. I've seen a 1 pounder (http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=68240/pid=35483/Product/Vihtavouri-N320-Powder-1-lb?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=s8000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c291_a_7c3470_a_7c749004641_d_749004641_d_5547) but I'd rather buy in bulk and save some $ long term.

The real question is, "where did you acquire this 4lb jug of N320"? I've been searching for a 4 lb jug or 2.

Good thing I have 12 pounds in the garage!

My favorite 9mm load was 2.8gr of 320 with a 160gr moly bullet.

I think I bumped to 3.4gr with a 147 Montana Gold

What is your address and do you have a large dog or an alarm system?

My pet 9mm Minor Load, out of my G17:

124 gr MG JHP

4.2 gr N320

1.160 OAL

Federal SPP

Stock barrel, makes 130 PF all day long.

If you're running a longer barrel, you should be able to get away with a bit less powder. 4.15 (measured across 10 charges) has me above the power floor at all times, but not comfortably enough for a Major Match. I'm told M&P's end up with less velocity with the same loads, but YMMV.

I just did some chrono testing with some 124's and VV320. I shot them through a 5" 1911 and Sig 226. 4.0 put me over with 5 shots at 988, 1056, 1031, 1042, and 1063, but i think i would bump the charge to 4.1-4.2 to be safe. This is with the 1911. The 226 at the same charge was 994, 975, 966, 951, 974.

I am going to run these at 4.2 and im going to do some intense load development for the 147's. That is going to be my go to bullet after i run these Precision Delta's out.

The data you're getting off the 226 is consistent with all of the testing I did as well.

Also note that at least in my case, with the increase in powder charge, the ES and (especially) the SD drops off. I don't have the notebook in front of me, but IIRC, with 4.0 grains the SD was something like 14, with 4.1 it was 9 and with 4.2 it's down to 7. (All taken across 25 shots.)

No pressure signs for me as of yet, and I'm using Federal primers. The extended tip on my striker is starting to leave deeper indentions, but certainly no cratering or flattening, and the "Glock square" smudge looks no different than factory stuff. The load is accurate, consistent, and reasonably clean-- especially in terms of "clean burning", as there's no caked on crap and the fouling is pitch black and wipes away clean and easy.