Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to determine load length

Resjudicata

My guns don't have any hood clearance at all. The end of the barrel hood shows marks where it rubs the breech face. This gives the gun a tight lock up and I mean tight. If you have ever racked the slide on a new Les Baer you would know what I mean. I re-barreled Travis Hayton's gun and it was so tight that I had to pull the slide racker with a rag wrapped around it. The gun still slung brass 10 ft.

My guns don't have any hood clearance at all. The end of the barrel hood shows marks where it rubs the breech face. This gives the gun a tight lock up and I mean tight. If you have ever racked the slide on a new Les Baer you would know what I mean. I re-barreled Travis Hayton's gun and it was so tight that I had to pull the slide racker with a rag wrapped around it. The gun still slung brass 10 ft.

That's good to know. I'll shoot for a 0.0" hood clearance on my next barrel. Now, I just need to see whether that new barrel will be sooner rather than later. :goof:

Chris

To take reloader to the range is real simple. I happen to have a spare RL550 specially fitted for this purpose

Get a Strong Mount for the Dillon, attach it to the machine. Mark out a board that is about 3" bigger than the base size of the strong mount, I think 15" x 15" x 1" will work. Good ply is best. You will also need two really good clamps.

Run the bolts up through the ply and sink the heads and washers into the ply so that the nuts are above the base of the strong mount. Also get the bullet tray and extra cartridge bin. You will need a open box (laid on its side so that wind will not affect it) for the scales.

Take cases, primers, powder and projectiles with you. Plus a bullet puller.

Easy enough to do.

Grant J has my spare 1050 sitting on such a board at his house. Easy to store and remount at any time.

It looks like the gun is grouping better after reaming the chamber to proper specs. Now I will try some of the lighter loads this weekend to see if I can drop my load back down to where it was with the 5" barrel. I'm going to try 4.1 gr of Titegroup like Grant's loads as well as my old load of 4.4 gr of Titegroup.

Chris

Garbage? Really?.......

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

So here goes.

How can a barrel that comes pre-chambered be fitted in a slide and not mess up the chambering. As soon as the hood length is changed the chamber length is changed.

IMO AET barrels are garbage. (There you go, Jeremy) I had one that shot great and I'm talking 6 shots at 50 in 1/2". The problem was that the accuracy didn't last long. The fluted chamber was also a nuisance. With the loads that we shoot in A/P the brass doesn't get worked hard enough to expand and seal off. That would be a different story with major which is where I feel that these barrels are more suited.

All of the barrels that I buy are short chambered. I'm currently running KKM barrels. I give my gunsmith a sized case that is trimmed to the length that I want. After he has fit the barrel, he then cuts the chamber so that the case sits exactly flush with the barrel hood. I then get the bullet that I want and play with different lengths.

I really have to agree with Kevin here.

I have two new Schuemann (non AET) barrels and they are fine. But my STI barrel (which I believe was made by Schuemann at the time I had thegun built) has 120K on it and it still holds 1.5" at 50.

I have supplied three Schuemann AET to guys fro IPSC and they work spectacular at major, shit house for minor. I did ONE, AET for a customer for minor pf and the gun was less than brilliant. We switched to a Kart and he has never looked back.

This is the first 25 yard group I shot today while out trying a couple different loads. This is 4.7 grains of Titegroup with a 115 grain Zero JHP set at 1.130" OAL. It's the tightest. I had a couple groups of each load that opened up but that was me losing concentration.

4-7Titegroup1-130.jpg

4.4 grains of Titegroup was very close to the same. I'm going to shoot some more of the 4.4 loads to make sure it will keep a good group.

I think the only problem at this point is me. If I allow anything short of absolute concentration on a perfectly clear focus on the front sight my groups open tremendously. Even then I don't have the best accuracy with iron sights. But, I think the work on the chamber did help.

Chris

Thats that magic 1.130 with the old style Zero.. I may be able to back off the powder some with the new style, more testing needed.

I have one box of the new style zeros that I need to try. Are you still running the same 1.130" OAL with the new style?

Chris

Just ran out of the old Zero this month. New stock in so I just swapped the seating plug around from RN to Conicala nd loaded as per previous. OAL virtually the same. Only minor adjustments needed to fine tune teh OAL.

Accuracy better with the longer bearing surface.

125gr particularly in the 9mm.