Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD-M 5.25 Slide Not Locking Back

Suff

I have my 5.25 set up with a 14lb recoil spring right now. My 147g minor loads won't lock the slide back. 130 pf. If I bump it up to 138-140pf it will get slide lock. Is anyone using a 12lb spring with success?

I don't have a 5.25 but I have had the "slide not locking back" issue with more than one brand new handgun in the past (mostly recently with an H&K). At the time I was only using rather underpowered commercial ammunition (standard Blazer Brass, etc) and had several of these failures with brand new magazines in the first two or three hundred rounds. I suspect that if you keep shooting it to "break it in" eventually it will lock back with any ammo without having to use a lighter recoil spring. I won't get in to the "new gun should not require a break in" debate because I think all new guns do, no matter how much they cost or who makes them.

Due to "lockup issues" and the fact that it just feels way too light the lowest weight recoil spring I would use in my XDm 4.5 is 16lbs. 14 seems really light. If you shake the pistol back and forth does it come out of battery?

i've found that with the xdm 5.25, my right thumb rides the slide release, and most of the time it doesn't lock back. could this be happening? load a bunch of mags with one round and shoot weak-handed and limp and see if it locks back. mine did, but strong hand/freestyle, it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I make myself keep my right thumb on the back of my left hand so when I do change from one platform to another I don't have an issue riding the safety/slide release.