Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL crimp, expander problems

Hello All,

I have been reloading cartridge cases for many years but this is my first go-round loading 9mm brass for my M&P and Glock. I chose the Hornady over the Dillon and now I'm having second thoughts and need your help.

Problem 1. I have watched the setup video many times and I believe I am following the direction correctly (not really hard). However, no matter how tight I set the crimper die I can spin the bullet in the brass. It won't fall out and it takes a little pressure to spin the bullet but it can be done. Is this normal ? Ant tighter and I deform the brass.

Problem 2. I set the expander die for the 115 grain Hornady HAP and it works fine. However, its too tight for the 124 grain Hornady HAP. Is this normal ? Do I have to reset the expander die for every change in bullet weight ?

I've spent hours setting and resetting the dies in the press.

I'm not THAT upset but I'm hiding the sharp objects.

What dies are you using? Are you using the through powder expander in the powder drop?

1. Sounds like the expander is belling the case too much and the crimp die can't get it all out. The crimp die is crimping the bullet but there isn't enough case tension to hold the bullet.

2. The expander should work the same on either bullet weight. Heavy bullets are longer not larger diameter. Bell the case just enough to get the bullet started. It should not drop into the case.

First off, the crimp in 9mm does nothing other then take the flare out of the case. DO NOT CRIMP INWARD much if at all. Your sizing die creates the tension to hold the bullet in the case.

Second, the flare should be around .015" over the size of a sized but unflared case at the mouth. Try that first. It should work for most bullets. After you get the hang of it you can probably use even less. But start there.

Third, Are you using a sized case for this dummy round build up?

For 9 mm set the expander die so that the width of the belled case is .380-383. Next set the crimp die to .375-.376. Do these adjustments when all the stations have brass in them.

The biggest problem on the hornady lnl is running the shell plate too loose. Adjust the shell plate down till it drags, then back it off till it does not drag.

Make sure it inedexes properly. I've only load about 48K of 9 mm major on my LNL, probably about the same on the Xl650.

If you are having trouble on the Hornady LNL setting it up the xl650 will kick you axx to the curb.

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=749

A mind is like a parachute it has to be open to work.

Edited to add the obvious You should be using a seperate taper crimp die. If you are crimping with the seating die, set the crimp first then the seating. The seating die should be backed out one round from contact with the brass when the ram is all the way down, then adjust the seating depth with the seating knob if using a Hornady die.

Edited by CocoBolo

I went out and loaded 500 9 majors and duplicated your problem. To duplicate the problem I seated a bullet in an un sized fired case then crimped, valaaaha zakley like what you describe.

After sizing a case in a normal 9 mm die the outside diameter at the rim is .372-.373 (range brass varies slightly) my actual bell when not using bullet feeder is .379, after bullet seating and crimp .375-.376.

I'm giving measurements since you can easily verify and duplicate these. I practice you use some judgement for these setting after you are expierenced. But for now measurements should help you.

I always have trouble identifying Hornady dies its hard to find the caliber stamped on them, maybe you got a 40 sizing die.

Hello,

Reset my dies and the expanded and sized brass were in the range provided by CocoBolo, thank you. My 9mm 115 grain XTP bullets are loaded tight and all looks good.

However, when I try to insert one of the free 500 9mm bullets provided by Hornady for buying the press, they do not fit...too big. I will have to reset the expander to fit them. They measure .356 and I guess the XTP measures .355. I have already loaded all the 115 grain XTP so I can't measure them and I assume they are .355. Or less ? Not much of a difference but they still won't seat in the expanded brass.

I guess variation is normal because as I loaded the 115 grain XTP slugs, 1 out of about every 10-15 is too small and just slides completely down into the expanded brass. As I said, I guess this is normal ?

Thanks all for the help.

No, that is NOT normal.

Your sizing die should size every case, no matter how thin the walls are, to slightly less than bullet diameter. The expander die should bring the case ID, over the length the bullet will be seated, to 0.001-0.002" less than bullet diameter.

You need to measure case wall thickness, case ID and OD after sizing, expander OD (not the top section that flares/bells the case mouth), and the case ID after expansion. That will determine where your problem is. Right now, it sounds like the PTX or expander die is made for larger cast lead bullets.

I have never hit this problem except for a few R.P. cases that were way too thin in the case walls and I scrapped them.

With the new information, it is obvious that either you are over expanding or the expander design/configuration is the culprit. Try backing the expader off until you can just barley get the butt of the bullet to pass the entrance of the brass at the rim. I've had this with the Hornady regular expander when I went too far, when using Moly coated bullets and left the die set same way with jacketed bullets.

Next make sure that you are not Short Stroking the press, yeah, gotta pull that handle all the way to the bottom every time, with the 9 mm being a tapered case if you don't pull it all the way down it does not size correctly.

And third pay attention to the head stamp of the ones that are giving you trouble, if they are the same discard those head stamps for other use or recycle.

Hello,

Reset my dies and the expanded and sized brass were in the range provided by CocoBolo, thank you. My 9mm 115 grain XTP bullets are loaded tight and all looks good.

However, when I try to insert one of the free 500 9mm bullets provided by Hornady for buying the press, they do not fit...too big. I will have to reset the expander to fit them.

If your using the right amount of flare that is impossible. No way that .015" of flare on a 9mm case is even going to notice or care if the bullet is .355 or even .358. It simply won't matter. How much flare are you using. Something is just not right.