Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So how do I get started

West Texas Granny

You need an objective and then a rifle. What type of military rifles do you have? Garands etc. can be used in high power matches. They tend to take place right along side F-class and other matches. This should expose you to other shooting options and the mass of consumer goods available.

Your question is too vague. What kind of rifle matches are you interested in? Sniper-esque? IPSC/Practical? Highpower? F class?

If sniper-esque is the answer, you need to research the local matches in your area and find out what sort of distances they are shooting. Then you need to get good zeroes for those distances.

Gearwise I would say you need

1) a spotting scope

2) a shooting mat

3) a good shooting sling

4) a bipod

5) windmeter

6) ballistic calculator

7) rear rest (as easy as a sock filled with sand)

8) good ammo

9) good ammo

10) did I mention good ammo

But check with your local guys before buying anything. And then zero your rifle again.

Check out a match if you haven't done so already.

Tons of knowledge gained by watching a match and talking with shooters. They will tell you what you need or don't need. It's all a learning curve. The equipment I started out with is not what I have now.

One key thing for me has been a ballistic calculator. I put an app on my i-pod. Bullet-flight. Apps like this are a must. But see what the other guys use, good and not so good.

Take that Kimber out and blast away. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more! :D

Take care.

• 4 weeks later...

Well if things fall into place I will shoot my first match this weekend. My goal is simply to gain experience and if lucky just get something on the paper.

Rifle: Kimber 8400 300 Win Mag

Scope: Nikon -- 1 click = 1/8 inch

Ammo available to use: Federal Vital-Shok 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip and Hornady 165 grain GMX

Have bipod

Edited by West Texas Granny

Your question is too vague. What kind of rifle matches are you interested in? Sniper-esque? IPSC/Practical? Highpower? F class?

If sniper-esque is the answer, you need to research the local matches in your area and find out what sort of distances they are shooting. Then you need to get good zeroes for those distances.

Gearwise I would say you need

1) a spotting scope

2) a shooting mat

3) a good shooting sling

4) a bipod

5) windmeter

6) ballistic calculator

7) rear rest (as easy as a sock filled with sand)

8) good ammo

9) good ammo

10) did I mention good ammo

But check with your local guys before buying anything. And then zero your rifle again.

As to matches I would be interested in boils down to the fact that I find the thought of hitting a target at 800-1,000 yards or further simply irresistible I didn't buy the Kimber for this but at the moment it's all I have. I'm pretty sure it will be loads of fun.

with the 300 winmag if you can try the 190 SMK for 800-1000. I find them to be best. The BC is a little lower than the 210 but the 190 fly a little better in my opinion. (I know that doesn't really make sense)You said you had a 1/8 adjustment scope but didnt mention magnification. Honestly I think people get too caught up in over magnification and a 10x or 14x could serve you just fine. One thing I teach is magnification magnifies movement. with that being said on my F-class rifle I run a 6.5-18 variable scope. However I have competed with a Rem 700 .308 20" barrel and a 3.5-10 and still held my own at 3rd.

one thing you can do now to make things better is add weight to your rifle to hold down the recoil a bit 60 round days of 300 winmag isn't for the faint of heart. so taming it could make all the difference in your groups come the end of the day.

at what distance and how high? what was your zero? what was your scope adjustment? 1/8 is the clicks at a 100 yards at 800 yards 1 click equals the same as 100 yards. my 1/4 adjustment going from 200 to 300 is 7 clicks but 200 to 600 yard is 13 clicks. if this was at 100 yards did you boresight it? try moving up to 50 yards to get initial zero. it'll take more doping but but at least you know the gun is on. Or it could be something as simple as the scope rings not being aligned.