Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbine and LMOS

Suff

I have starting shooting 3-gun more and would like to improve my rifle some. I currently run a RRA carbine. I've added a good optic, Miculek comp, and a JP rifle length handguard. Now my focus is on reducing recoil. I've been searching and reading but I'm still a little confused. Will the JP low mass bolt carrier work with my set-up and would I need to change the buffer as well? And more importantly would it help reduce the recoil? Thanks.

You should be able to use the carrier but not their low mass buffer. If you have an "H" buffer or heavier, it can be swapped out for a standard carbine buffer to reduce a little of the weight. An adjustable gas block will allow you to tweak the gas system as well to reduce the recoil even further.

With a carbine length gas system I would leave it alone until you someday change to a rifle length gas system. My experiance has been that the lightweight parts want to cycle too soon while chamber pressure is still a bit high and results in reliability issues. The extra weight of a full weight carrier and H buffer has proven the most reliable with the short gas system. A good efficient comp is your best bet at the moment.