Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor boys xd trigger job?

promod1385

What parts would you say impact the trigger performance of the xd the most? I recently picked up an XD and plan on shooting production with it over the winter.

I would like to do a cheap trigger job on the gun. The only problem I have with the trigger is the reset is very long.

I have looked at all the website for xd parts and have decided that I am sure they can all provide an amazing xd trigger $130+ is just too much to spend on this XD.

Please share your thoughts on how to git er done!

Some of the available kits address both pull weight and over travel/reset. It may be possible to buy a portion of the kit for less money and address only your concerns with the reset. In the Springer kit the over travel is set by fitting a new the trigger bar. The trigger bar is available as an individual part for I think $60.

I'm just speculating here so before you spend the money on this I would contact the maker/seller of the particular kit and make sure they agree you can get the desired outcome without using all of the parts together as they have designed.

Agreed with BBBB, call the company that sells the kit and talk it over with them.

I have an XD that I ended up spending the money and buying the whole Springer kit for and have never regretted it. The trigger bar alone is key but, having the stock springs as extra in case something breaks is good peace of mind. The kit springs tightened up the trigger and took out some of the extra movement in it that was there even after I installed the trigger bar.

The final decision is yours though, but if you have the money, I would buy the kit.

All the Custom shops can do great trigger jobs for you, but for what you are asking for I would consider the Powder River Precision striker safety lever and trigger. Those two parts installed correctly can reduce reset, pre travel and over travel by at least half.

This won't reduce trigger pull weight. That is controlled by spring tension and the sear and those are areas that should only be altered by the factory or at least a highly experienced and skilled gunsmith familiar with the XD/XDm plarform.

Rob

This is the kind of direction I was looking for!

I was looking at the PRP- Trigger and PRP- Titanium striker safety, planning on also picking up there spring kit so as to have extras.

In the future should I feel or see the need I can get the sear and over travel stop.

Or...just shoot it as is?

I was also convinced that I had to do something different with the trigger when I got my 1st XD a few years ago, but at the time I didn't have the money for a trigger job. I was more worried about how I was going to afford powder, primers, and bullets. I kept putting it off, and putting it off until I eventually just learned how to shoot it as is. Now, I'm so use to the factory setup, I'm almost afraid to change it. Besides, at my level of shooting (B class USPSA) I doubt if a trigger job will help me advance. I hope I'm not being glib, or dismissive of the concern. As a shooter on a budget, it’s just my experience and opinion.

Sights, now that's something I'm ready to change. It took me a while to get there, but I think my skill level has reached the limits of the factory sights, and I'm just about ready, and I think I can finally justify the cost for that kind of change.

Edited by grapemiester