Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Maritime 3 Gun, Hartford, CT (USCGA Benifit match)

Registration is open.

The dates are set for the 22/23rd of Oct. (one day match format)

It's the same match format as past years and now that registration is open get in on it fast it's been up for 24 hours and over 50% full. The Cadets of the USCG Academy Combat Arms team have submitted final stage designs for HGC approval, our next meeting set for this Tuesday. We'll have the full round count posted by the end of the week. We've also lowered the price a few bucks from last year to $95.

There will be seven squads of eight shooters with a one day format. Pick your day and pray for sunshine, we are limited to 112 shooters. The stages will have more reactive steel this year, you'll see a MGM Whirly-Gig, several plate rack and dueling trees along with some additions to our pepper poppers. If you never seen a pigeon flipper you might want to search youtube and get your shotguns ready. I know the twisted mind that came up with the courses. (hint, work on your balance) Shotguns are a blast and ammo is cheap so work on your reloads you'll be needing it. (keeping it simple with birdshot only this year, slugs ain't fun for juniors and just cost too much) You might just want to check out your sights for pistol shots farther outside your normal range.

Scoring will be mostly IDPA as will be the cardboard targets used.

One thing to announce here, use of cleats (soft or hard) will not be allowed. We have a few considerations on one of the stages, you'll be just fine in your boots/running shoes. Also, if you shoot on day one and video tape it, don't put them up until noon the next day. Everyone should have the same amount of prep time to come up with a plan of attack for each stage.

If we get enough feedback we'll put a breaching door in the match again, I don't know what it is with that beast but folks like blowing sticks apart. Let me know quickly!

We are ordering awards this year for the match, bragging rights aside people want bling!

Open, Tac-Optics, Heavy Metal........ yep, pick one.

HGC is looking at a few vendors showing up, EAR Pro will be fitting custom molded plugs while you wait. Food and a few others will be setting up some tables too so bring some cash. If you would like to be a sponsor or set up a booth, contact Mike on the registration website. He's handling match logistics, stats, food, targets, sponsorships, match director, range master, match safety officer, parking lot attendant, water boy, certified umbrella holder, media affairs and whatever else we can pile on. (Many thanks to Mike for all he does!)

This annual match helps support the teams upcoming season and HGC is hosting it for a fundraiser. In years past they didn't get to shoot it, they set it up and ran everyone else through, we hope to get them on the range Friday afternoon. This is the same team that designs/builds and staffs stages at the CT State IDPA championships and for the last two years the S&W IDPA Indoor Winter Nationals. This year they have 5 seniors on the team making this seasons team the most experienced in recent years. With the National Exposure they have been receiving from winning the 2011 SSC Northeast Cup and the coverage on Shooting USA the Command has been taking greater interest in the team. We are attempting to build up the program to get these young men and women down to Ft. Benning this coming spring for the National Scholastic Steel Challenge match. The match is the same week as the collegiate national pistol championships.

Check Matchreg.com for registration, updates and round counts.

This match was a lot of fun last year and supports a great cause. If you're down on the youth of today, shoot this match and the cadets will change your mind. Also, it's a nice change of pace for all of the ROs to call you sir.

Just signed up for the match. Had not heard of it before and spotted it on the forum. Shot West Point in April and really enjoyed it and loved being able to help out the Combat Weapons Team and their efforts. Will continue to shoot West Point for as long as I am able, and hope this match for the Coast Guard Academy turns out to be as much fun. Was wondering where to go for more information on the match? Went to the Hartford Gun Club website and the match was not listed on their schedule. Will the round count be listed on the website as well as the stages? Can you guys help me out with information locations?

If we get enough feedback we'll put a breaching door in the match again

For me no thanks, one ruptured disc in my back is plenty.

Question, when you get the stages finalized, what is the max shotgun round count on a single stage?

Trying to figure out how many ammo carriers I need.

David E.

If we get enough feedback we'll put a breaching door in the match again

For me no thanks, one ruptured disc in my back is plenty.

Question, when you get the stages finalized, what is the max shotgun round count on a single stage?

Trying to figure out how many ammo carriers I need.

David E.

While we are asking, Max rifle distances would be helpful so I know what to bring. Looks like this will be worth the three hour ride ;)

Using a large number of MGM 10inch flash targets. The distance will be no greater than 200. The plans also have a few IPSC flash targets in the mix. If used the breaching door wouldn't be hit with a heavy weighted breacher but rather have wooden pins that are blown with a shotgun, once cleared you push the door forward, pass through and then engage the given targets.

This is a shooting match not a crazy running/lifting/crawling match..... plan on shooting. Plenty of consideration has gone into stage design for those that enjoy shooting this match every year not triathlons. The one thing I've learned from Frank Glover the last three years is that match directors/stage designers are in the entertainment business. Folks want to and should be challenged in the match however they shouldn't need to be in pain three days later because they over did it physically.

Handheld light will be required for a dark indoor stage.

Max shotgun on a stage..... One stage will test the non-shotgunners... plan on 25 rounds for a minimum for one of the stages, you'll start empty and can pre-stage your shells so don't run out and buy all kinds of carriers unless you really need an excuse. This stage also has rifle mixed in with it.

This is my first 3-gun. I'll be shooting a Rem 1100, 20 gauge. Completely new to shotguns. What ammo should I buy, how many rounds should I bring total? For rifle and pistol, I'm set, just a complete noob on shotgun.

Edited by Ben Diss

Since we will be shooting more than one gun per stage, do we need slings on either rifle or shotgun, or will we be dumping one before using the other.

Ben,

The round count should be posted soon. But generally speaking for 3 GUN I bring double to round count:

For a 20 ga:

- For clay targets and most steel: 7 1/2 - 8 bird shot, I would go a little heavy on the load(20ga), sporting clays/pheasant loads are normally heavier than target.

- For distant or heavy steel: #6 high brass/long range.

- Slugs? Only if required

- Buck shot? Not normally used, some matches have a limit on shot size (#4 comes to mind), the breacher door may need buckshot? Need to wait for more info.

Do you have a fixed choke? Choke tubes? Normally almost any choke will work unless you are under choked, say a cyl choke trying to knock down distant/heavy steel.

The MD may be able to give some more info, but I would guess this match will be friendly to almost all variations of shotgun setups.

David E.

The breacher shotgun was provided last year. IIRC we used our own birdshot ammo. I forget if they had ammo for the 20Ga guys or they just bummed 2 12Ga shells off a squadmate.

No slings were required last year, they had dump stations.

No slugs, No Buck.

The following sizes will be sufficient: #6, #7 and #7.5 (Lead only, Needed to note this just in case)

No slings needed, optional item.

Hot boxes will be used to dump long guns as needed for the stage.

With the addition of pigeon flipper this year to some of the stages the decision to remove buck and slugs was made. This will increase safety by reducing the chances of someone shooting those types of rounds at the pigeon and it leaving the bay.

The breacher used last year was sold.

ETA: There are only 9 open slots left for Sunday. Saturday is sold out!

Edited by Double

Since we will be shooting more than one gun per stage, do we need slings on either rifle or shotgun, or will we be dumping one before using the other.

Ben,

The round count should be posted soon. But generally speaking for 3 GUN I bring double to round count:

For a 20 ga:

- For clay targets and most steel: 7 1/2 - 8 bird shot, I would go a little heavy on the load(20ga), sporting clays/pheasant loads are normally heavier than target.

- For distant or heavy steel: #6 high brass/long range.

- Slugs? Only if required

- Buck shot? Not normally used, some matches have a limit on shot size (#4 comes to mind), the breacher door may need buckshot? Need to wait for more info.

Do you have a fixed choke? Choke tubes? Normally almost any choke will work unless you are under choked, say a cyl choke trying to knock down distant/heavy steel.

The MD may be able to give some more info, but I would guess this match will be friendly to almost all variations of shotgun setups.

David E.

Thanks for the help. I'm going out tomorrow morning to shoot the shotgun and I'll see about the choke. I was looking at Winchester Winlite for a light load to fast follow-up shots? Any thoughts on this?

Some do use lighter loads/smaller shot for clays so as you said follow-ups would be faster.

The problem comes in if there is steel in the mix and you either can't knock it down or it takes several shots.

For a clays only stage or close steel I would possibly use lighter loads for the speed advantage.

There is a big debate about shell quality, the bottom line is your gun must run 100% with all the loads you plan to use. From reading here, the 1100 seems to be a more sensitive gun to the loads used.

Think of it this way; if you have to reload the shotgun because of misses or failures to knock down steel you are losing time. For a middle of the road shooter, 1 second per shell reloaded is the goal (8 shells loaded shot to shot in 8 seconds), most new shooters take longer. So taking the extra time shooting because you have a slightly heavier load or tighter choke and not missing can save you time overall.

This holds true for chokes, with a tighter choke you can knock down heavy/distant steel with the right load. If the choke is too open, you might not be able to knock down distant/heavy steel even with heavy loads. So a tighter choke seems like the answer until you consider clays in the air and too tight of a choke will slow you down or cause misses if shooting above your ability.

If you have time to pattern your shotgun, do it at 20 yards, which is more realistic for our games than 30 or 40 yards when talking steel targets. My experience is that at 20 yards choke selection is less important than load selection unless you are talking cyl vs full.

So the shotgun is about compromise. The bottom line for me is that if the choke is too open or the load too light and you cannot knock down a steel target your game s over.

Improving you reload time will do more for your shotgun game than anything else.

David E.

By the way I'm a little new at this shotgun thing.

Edited by Nuke8401

David- Thanks for taking the time to post this. I hadn't considered any of what you've called out here, so this is a great head start for me.

We shot some clays this morning with the 1100 and the first thing we learned is that it hadn't been cleaned in 15 years. Yikes. Didn't function so good with light ammo, but worked better with harder stuff. I'm about to break it down and clean/lube everything.

No slugs, No Buck.

The following sizes will be sufficient: #6, #7 and #7.5 (Lead only, Needed to note this just in case)

No slings needed, optional item.

Hot boxes will be used to dump long guns as needed for the stage.

With the addition of pigeon flipper this year to some of the stages the decision to remove buck and slugs was made. This will increase safety by reducing the chances of someone shooting those types of rounds at the pigeon and it leaving the bay.

The breacher used last year was sold.

ETA: There are only 9 open slots left for Sunday. Saturday is sold out!

Can you tell me if IDPA rules such as using cover, not dropping a loaded mag, reloading behind cover etc. are going to be used for this match?

How about mag capacity for tactical, 30 for an AR, 17 for a Glock okay?

Thanks

Equipment rules posted here: My link

Have to get offical input from Match staff on use of IDPA cover/reloads, but in the past not required.

David E.

Thanks Dave,

I checked the equipment rules and there is nothing about pistol capacity requirements except for ironman division.

The rules only state how long the mag can be, not how many rds. you can have in them.

Like for example in IDPA you can use a hi cap mag but only put 10 rds in it if you are in stock service pistol division.

Cover will be required on certain stages. (not a cover garment) There is plenty of free fire areas but one also has to remember that this is not the "Iron Man" HGC has a requirement that all rounds fired must impact the rear backstop. This was the greatest challenge and I think they came up with some really interesting stages (and more of them this year, you'll see two or three strings in the same bay this year)

Dropping loaded mags, manage your ammo, you're in the fight you make the choice, don't worry about procedurals for this, PRESS ON.

Mags, stuff them full. Just remember the length limits by division. The other thing I am going to ask be modified in the "Rules" is not only "Drum" style mags but to include those like the new Sure Fire 60 and 100. Technically they are not drum so I can see some folks trying to get an edge by purchasing these. Simple fix- stuff more than 30 in it and your now in open class.

Competitor cost was a factor in this match and stage design. There won't be any "Round Dump" stages that will force a competitor to blast $40 worth of ammo from one spot at a single target. We added more shotgun because it's both cheap and challenging for the competitor.

BTW, the boat was shot in a match the first year I was here, they still remember it and won't let me use it again..... I tried!!

The order for the Combat Arms T-shirts is going in soon and will be available for purchase at the match.

Cover will be required on certain stages. (not a cover garment) There is plenty of free fire areas but one also has to remember that this is not the "Iron Man" HGC has a requirement that all rounds fired must impact the rear backstop. This was the greatest challenge and I think they came up with some really interesting stages (and more of them this year, you'll see two or three strings in the same bay this year)

Dropping loaded mags, manage your ammo, you're in the fight you make the choice, don't worry about procedurals for this, PRESS ON.

Mags, stuff them full. Just remember the length limits by division. The other thing I am going to ask be modified in the "Rules" is not only "Drum" style mags but to include those like the new Sure Fire 60 and 100. Technically they are not drum so I can see some folks trying to get an edge by purchasing these. Simple fix- stuff more than 30 in it and your now in open class.

Competitor cost was a factor in this match and stage design. There won't be any "Round Dump" stages that will force a competitor to blast $40 worth of ammo from one spot at a single target. We added more shotgun because it's both cheap and challenging for the competitor.

BTW, the boat was shot in a match the first year I was here, they still remember it and won't let me use it again..... I tried!!

The order for the Combat Arms T-shirts is going in soon and will be available for purchase at the match.

So your saying my 48 round P mag will not be allowed in Tactical?