Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Catastrophic failure

Cplangston

If you want to figure out what the failure was read at the bottom. The rest of the post describes my experience and how I found out what was wrong.

Sorry for the long post but it's just so strange I can't miss a detail.

Hey guys, recently I've had the strangest things going on with my new stock 2 9mm, including, constant stove pipes, irregular brass ejection, light striker hits, irregular wear on the barrels feed ramp, strange marks on my barrel, an abundance of gun powder residue on my feed ramp, breach face and all around there. Now buying a new gun and having all these problems at once I was a little bit concerned but just continued to try and fix each problem one by one. I installed a lighter recoil spring, replaced extractor (and spring), replaced firing pin (and spring) and bought a new mag to see if that was the issue. But nothing worked. After doing everything that I could change / fix with my knowledge and know how I still my gun still jammed almost every third shot or so. So I decided to enlist the help of a follow tanfoglio stock shooter. He took a look and we tried swapping parts to see if we could narrow down the issue. Nothing worked for a while until I took his entire upper also 9mm and put it on my gun. I shot a full mag as fast as possible with his upper and it worked every time. Also my slide DID NOT fit on his frame which will make sense later. From there we noticed how much farther his upper was ejecting the rounds ( when shot by my frame). So I put my upper back on and noticed that no matter what I did my ejector would not catch on the lip of the brass. I took it out and tried to get the ejector to hold it in place but there was just too much of a gap between the ejector and the breach face. Puzzled we grabbed his gun and tried the same thing his grabbed onto the 9mm brass perfectly. We stood there very confused when all of the sudden my friend walked away found a piece of 40 s&w brass and put it into my frame. It fit perfectly, the distance from the breach face to the ejector was just the right distance to hold the 40 brass. It was at this time that everything made sense.

I have a 9mm stock 2 that has a 9mm barrel with a 40s&w frame. And the frame does in fact have 919 engraved into it. You seriously can't believe the kinds of problems that creates. My questions from here is; was this a fluke and did some one on the production side of tanfoglio accidentally grab a 40 frame and engrave 9mm on it put it with other 9mm parts and ship it off to me not knowing what bad mistake had taken place? Has anyone else ever had this happen or does this explain anyone elses numerous problems?

You would think that they would fire the guns before they leave the factory. Let me be sure to tell you if you would have fired 5 rounds with this gun you would know that something is wrong.

I'm at a loss any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance

-Langston

With the U.S Stock 2 being a large frame, wouldn't the frames be the same regardless if it were 9mm or .40? The upper assembly and mags are what need to be caliber specific, no?

I can see where a .40 slide with a 9mm barrel would have crazy issues like this. I'm amazed this would even be possible.

Wow I am very sorry for my completely confusing post.

Nealio- Yes I ment to say slide when i said frame

And Yes I ment to say extractor not ejector.

Here is the problem restated to that it will be clear.

I have a 40S&W slide that is marked 919. The reason that i know this is because the distance between the breach face and the extractor is much to large for a 9mm, but it perfectly fits a 40S&W. I have pictures but can't seem to put the links in this post because this is my first posts. If anyone else knows a way i can put um up let me know.

Thanks for your responses

-Langston

Edited by Cplangston