Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eric's TruGrip wraparound grips

Nik Habicht

Friday the long awaited grips for my G34 and 19 frames were here. They went on easily enough --- took about 15 minutes to stretch the two pieces into place. I shot about 350 rounds in two matches this weekend and the gun stayed locked in tight. Best of all, I didn't need an application of skin creme to smooth out the rough spots after the shooting was done. If you haven't tried these, what are you waiting for?

I'm lobbying for magazine base pads next --- with the hole cut for the take down pin....

Would this stuff be acceptable for a carry gun? I don't compete with my glock, but I'd like to find something to improve the grip. I'd be concerned with the material grabbing my covering garments keeping the garment from 'falling off' the grip.

- Gabe

Would this stuff be acceptable for a carry gun? I don't compete with my glock, but I'd like to find something to improve the grip. I'd be concerned with the material grabbing my covering garments keeping the garment from 'falling off' the grip.

- Gabe

Shoot Eric an e-mail. I believe he's been using/trying it on his carry gun. I suppose it might depend on the type and weight of material that the cover garment is made of --- but I'd ask the guy with experience....

I've got Eric's grips on my G19 and my G34. I have no issue with it as a carry wrap...fact I used gator grips grips panel decals before switching so I'm used to (and like) the rougher texture

Would this stuff be acceptable for a carry gun?  I don't compete with my glock, but I'd like to find something to improve the grip.  I'd be concerned with the material grabbing my covering garments keeping the garment from 'falling off' the grip.

- Gabe

First off, I'd like to thank Nik and everyone for all the kind words.

Gabe,

That's a tough one to answer. It's not an accident that I don't advertise the stuff as suitable for concealed carry. Personally, I don't think *anything* that's sticky is suitable for carry. This includes all types and varieties of rubber grips and all "sandpaper" or grit-type grips. You're always pulling your cover garment back over the gun. If you stick to smooth fabrics (versus a flannel shirt or a fleece jacket) the effects of the "grabbing" of the grip on the fabric is much reduced.

Personally, now that I've had the TruGrip on my carry gun for over a month, I'm not sure I'll like living without it. The difference between an ungripped and a gripped gun while shooting is pretty dramatic. But, I do have issues with the grip grabbing on my clothing, so whether I stick with it after I've tested it to my satisfaction is anyone's guess.

Other options include stippling your grip with a soldering iron. This will help, but eventually the stippling will round off and go dull. (Depending on how and how often you carry, this dulling can happen very quickly. My carry gun is only a few years old and my mag release is completely worn down, much of the texturing is worn off the frame, and the slide gets shinier by the day.) At least with the tape, you can rip it off and throw on a new piece when it gets dull.

In the short term, try cleaning your grip thoroughly. Glock grips are molded with what is called "mold release" which can either be Pam or a silicone-based lubricant. It makes the grips pop out of the mold nice, but makes them artificially slick. Unless you've made a deliberate attempt to get this crap off your grip, it will still be there. Brake Cleaner, a toothbrush and a lot of elbow grease will take most of it off. You'll know you're done when your grip loses that shiny "Armor All" look and takes on more of a dull/flat appearance.

It's always a series of comprimises when carrying, and you just have to try stuff out and see what you can live with.

Another product that may be more suitable for carry is Brook's Tactical A-Grip - although I think it's outrageously overpriced at something like $20-25 per grip.