Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improper Optimization costs!

kdj

I shot a match yesterday and managed to do something stupid on almost every stage (the one I didn't, I had an ejected round jam under the scope that took about a week and a half to clear!) but that's not the story here.

On the final stage, a 30ish round field course with lots of steel and two swingers, I managed to make a truly idiotic mistake.

The swingers were both in the final section, shot from a 10 yd charge line with 3 static paper, 2 PP activators and 4 small (tiny, tiny, microscopic :P) plates. One swinger was a single hidden to the right by a wall prior to activation. The second was a double (one of those weird swinging things that don't pause decently at the end of the arc for us to shoot them while they are standing still :P) but one of the two was visible prior to activation. Both swingers were slow to activate and both pretty visible when they stopped.

So, I decided to shoot right to left, starting with that activator popper, hit everything visible, including the visible swinger target and come back and pick up the two un-engagaged swingers after the little plates. The extra transition time was OK since the other choices were wait for the swinger or make two shorter transitions.

Things seemed to go according to plan. And then came the scoring. 2As first swinger ... blah, blah ... 2nd swinger ... 1st target, no holes, 2 mikes, 2nd target on that swinger, 4 A holes.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Guess who'd not properly noticed which way the swinger was set and which target was on top when it was set. I know that the head of the target pointing in a particular direction should have been a big clue but ... Duh!

To paraphrase one of my professors: "Improper optimization is the source of many ills".

:blink::(:(:(

Kevin

This sh*t happens.......... to me all the time esp. on swingers and gravity turners.

I don't know why I like shooting IPSC :wacko:

Henny. Too slow (...as well)

Close to maximum stagepoints divided by many seconds leaves no hitfactor!