Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ story

ivanhu

Heyyyyy. What are you still doing here? I thought you'd gone on holidays so I could talk about you behind your back ;)

The point I'm (apparently unsuccessfully) trying to make is that we each have a comfort level when it comes to course design and the requirements thereof. If you're happy asking a competitor to draw a gun with a chambered round from a briefcase, nobody is trying to stop you, however I prefer the alternative I've stated.

What I don't accept, even for a nanosecond, is that my preference for an empty chamber will cause the end of IPSC as we know it, while increasing global warming, destroying the rainforests and killing off the Spotted Wingtail Wombat. As I've said ad nauseum, the sky is not falling a.k.a. De hemel valt niet :ph34r:

And readers of these forums can make an informed judgment of which piece of course design advice best suits their particular requirements. Remember, we're not talking about the interpretation of a rule - we're merely talking preferences within the rules, and the same argument applies to many other aspects of IPSC, such as target selection (e.g. Metric or Classic), division selection and so on.

Finally, my furry orange friend, I urge you not to become swept away by the melodramatic hyperbole and propaganda which occasionally pervades these hallowed halls. It's all smoke and mirrors, but without a girl in a sexy outfit getting sawn in half B)

Have a great holiday in Turkey, and bring me back some Halva .....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've retrieved loaded pistols out of drawers, briefcases, boxes, toolboxes and never seen anyone have any problems doing this any safer than drawing from a holster in awkward situations (ie sitting in a chair). I think all that Honk Kong saki and sushi must be making ole Vincent a bit soft ;)

De hemel valt niet  :ph34r:

<SNIP>

Have a great holiday in Turkey, and bring me back some Halva .....

Hi dear Vince,

I'm now off to bed, but I couldn't resist taking a last peak :mellow: .

I think that basically we are somehow in agreement, but we definitely need to have a (few) drink(s) sometime somehere.

And he writes dutch :wacko::D !

Dus ik kan nu in het nederlands doorgaan ?

Dat zou prettig zijn !

I don't know what Halva is, but I will find out !

If I bring you some, will you come over to get it ?

You have a place to stay at my house anytime you want !

Now I'm really signing off !

I think all that Honk Kong saki and sushi must be making ole Vincent a bit soft  ;)

Hey dude, saki and sushi is Japanese. My problems are stir-fried noodles and Mao Tai (basically alcoholic anti-freeze).

:wacko:

Garfield,

Thank you.

Vince, I have to echo Garfield's comment "I respectfully think you can't be seriously comparing the challenge of retrieving a loaded fiream from a briefcase with that of climbing a 2m high obstacle."

We, I think have already agreed that we will in all probability rarely agree on anything. But I have an opinion and I think it is a valid one and others have theirs which are also valid. Retreiving a firearm from the bedside lockbox, out of a desk drawer, from a closed briefcase, out of the glove compartment of a car or from any number of different holsters are all practical and practicable skills that many of us may or may not be called upon to actually perform. Scaling a 2 meter high wall is not. I dare say there are more than a few of us reading this that could run through about any prop you'd care to build easier than they could climb it.

Scaling a wall is a challenge that is not a reasonable "Shooting Challenge" I would if I were ever to actually include such a challenge in a stage, offer a reasonable work around. My main reason for not including such a challenge today would be that most of the gear that is currently used would not safely retain the pistol during the drop and roll-out and there is the 180 to consider as well as the broken limb factor. Let's face it, far too many of us are well beyond the age of vaulting over walls in a single bound.

But that is not the same as a briefcase. If you cannot open a briefcase on the clock and safely extract a pistol, maybe you should not be competing in Action Shooting events. Please read the "You" in this as a catch-all, I don't want YOU getting all hot that I am telling YOU that YOU shouldn't be shooting :)

Jim Norman

Edited by Jim Norman

we each have a comfort level when it comes to course design and the requirements thereof

we're merely talking preferences within the rules, and the same argument applies to many other aspects of IPSC,

Vince,

So long as you remember what you have written here, I also have no problem. My concern is that there are those that push their preferences into the rulebooks. Maintain your preference and we will remain civil to and with each other. Just please don't muck about with the rules so as to make them conform to your preferences.

I have stated before that the way the book should be is that there should be a baseline and regions can be tougher. I then stated that upon reflection I think that that is the wrong way to go. I WAS MISTAKEN; The rules should require the most onerous possible situations and regions should have to request exemptions. That way the laws may be changed. National pride about the ability to compete equally on a world stage and all that may help our cause.

See I can admit to error :) (First tiem Ive maid won of course)

Jim Norman

RE: IPSC Shotgun & Rifle

I've got some good news and some bad news.

First the good news. There is no reference to 2m high walls in the SG & Rifle rules, it simply reads "Not applicable"

Now the bad news. You will never be asked to draw a 40 - 46 inch shotgun, loaded or otherwise, from a briefcase. :D Aaagh, shucks! You guys have all the fun.

Or is that such bad news? :)

And before someone jumps down my throat about the above they are are not intended to be really serious contributions to this debate. I'm just trying to bring a little joy and happiness into the world. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Garfield,

Who the hell was your "RO"? He sounds like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.

Why weren't you DQ'd? You already had two rounds loaded when he said "LAMR".

What happened to "Are You Ready"?

Why did he take 8 seconds to sound the Start Signal?

What does "Shotgun Is Ready" mean after you unloaded?

I really wanna cry. Please send The Chef to RO Remedial Training Camp in Siberia. Then throw away the key.

Sure, the "holster" part was hilarious, but the other stuff ..................... :angry:

Hi,

In fact the "RO" is one of my best friends, but he is not really experienced in IPSC at all. He has only shot 5 IPSC matches until now or so.

What really happened was that I had already started on my own (as was agreed upon before the camera was switched on) as it was a simple practice run. Then somebody put the timer in my friend's hands and "told" him to act as an RO. Then he got a little bit confused, as you can see in the movie.

I thought about not putting the movie online, but as it contains much stuff to learn from and an ending which I too find hilarious, I decided to put it online anyhow.

At my club we have 4 IPSC-licensed shooters (including me) and just 1 RO (me) and I give all the training. I just finished training 12 other people and I made very sure they are familiar with the range commands. Not to the extent that they can RO, but at least they are familiar with the commands.

Garfield,

OK, fair enough. You're forgiven - you can come home now :)

Unfortunately for you though, I downloaded the movie and I'll be submitting it to a new TV program being created by Michael Bane called "IPSC's Funniest Home Videos".

I think I'll call it "Arvidgate" :D