Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI grip textures - tactical/agressive micro pockets/skater terrain

digby7

I finally sacked up and submitted my gunbuilder for a new limited pistol, good that it only took me 8 months of hemming and hawwing to decide if I wanted it and what I wanted, sad that if I had just submitted it on day 1 i'd have it in my hands right now.

Trying to decide on grip textures and wanted to see what those of you that have one think. Brandon sent me a small skater terrain and signature aggressive/tactical micropockets to try out.

having spent 30 minutes playing around with these, my wilson SS with starburst grips and 30lpi checkering feels like a bar of soap now, so not so good for contrasting with my current gun.

If I had to rate them in terms of aggressiveness

skater terrain (least aggressive but still more aggrssive than what i'm used to)

tactical mp(slightly more aggressive than the skater terrain)

aggressive mp(whoa, what the hell did I just grab on to, this feels like a sharp cheese grater and do I really want to see what it feels like holding this thing with a firm grip under recoil)

just wanted to get some extra feedback from those of you that have experience with these as I imagine its much different actually shooting with the grip compared to sitting down with just the grip itself, no receiver/slide/grip safety.

I'm very tempted by the aggressive but dont want to regret it. this will be a dark gun either infinicoat or blued so I dont want to have to knock the tips off with a file if it turns out too aggressive.

I played with all of them and I choosed the Skater Terrain grip on my pistols.

The Tactical micropocket looks good and is ok, but I still prefer the feel of the skater grip.

I tried one of the very first aggressive grip on Alex Szakacs' pistols and it sucked up your hand. But I don't like it to be too aggressive, I like to be able to correct my grip if I can (and need to).

The skater grip also comes with different grits and you can have some pretty aggressive grip with that.

On a side note, I recently put the new grips with the moebius cut on the side, and it provide a little advantage to those with long fingers. My middle finger comes right into the round shape of the logo and adds a little extra strength to my grip.

It also helps in cooling the pistol faster when shooting lots of rounds in a short period of time.

the skater terrain feels like it has a bit more contour on the edges of the front strap making it a bit smaller

on my calipers the small grip measures out as thinner than the signature though i'm not sure if thats just because of the mp vs the skater terrain.

I had the same problem trying to decide between the agressive micro pockets or the skate tape. I had felt skate tape and wasn't thrilled with it but had never felt the "AMP". And Brandon didn't offer to send me one to try out :lol:

So after talking to Brandon I went with the AMP. In the back of my mind I was thinking I could always knock it down if it was too rough (unfinished stainless). When it arrived I was a little shocked at how rough it was. I took it easy at the first local match. Didn't want to rip my hand open with any speedy draws.

I've been shooting it for about a month now and I don't even think about it. I love it. And it has yet to draw blood.

I'm happy I made the right choice for "me" but that doesn't mean that you would like it. Keep playing with the sample and get some more input.

Good luck.

thats very helpful, good to know that the initial shock of how sharp it is can turn into something good. It is sharp as hell though, i put my grip pressure at probably around 80/60 and it felt like I was squeezing a porcupine.

Keep it coming guys, I appreciate it.

There is another option nowadays. It's something Brandon took with him to the Infinity Euro Open. The projectname for the gripe is "Spike" and it is between the agressive and tactical version in it felt very good but didn't get to shoot it. I have ordered it on my gun.

Here is the link to the topic

SVI Spike

Edited by BlueVFRank

For a competition only pistol, I prefer skater terrain for a couple of reasons. 1. I can switch between 60 and 120 grit if I want to. 2. I can completely change the look of my pistol for a couple of bucks.

For a dual purpose pistol I will never order anything but the standard micro pockets. I made the mistake (against Brandon's advice) of getting the skater terrain on my 5" widebody, which I carry at for and use a my back-up limited gun now. In a years time, it has claimed the life of three shirts by wearing through the sides :angry2:

FWIW, listen to Brandon........he knows what he's talking about :cheers:

Lets keep this thread going. I also have been trying to decide between the signature and small grip. I use skate tap on my sti grip but the micropockets look cool and I would like to try it but do not want to make a $700 mistake.

I have very small hands, what do you recommend?

I was by there a couple of weeks ago and felt, handled and played with all the grips. I chose the tactical mp for mine!

The one between the tactical and aggressive is nice as well. I got the new grip with the mobius cut-out.

There is another option nowadays. It's something Brandon took with him to the Infinity Euro Open. The projectname for the gripe is "Spike" and it is between the agressive and tactical version in it felt very good but didn't get to shoot it. I have ordered it on my gun.

Here is the link to the topic

SVI Spike

I thought the tactical was the spike option?

Lets keep this thread going. I also have been trying to decide between the signature and small grip. I use skate tap on my sti grip but the micropockets look cool and I would like to try it but do not want to make a $700 mistake.

I have very small hands, what do you recommend?

I have small hands and the Signature grips works perfectly for me. The small grip feels pretty good, but (for me) not nearly as good as the SG. If you like the way a stippled/reduced plastic grip feels, then you may prefer the small grip. But I would bet $50 that if you held both of them, you'd prefer the SG. Unfortunately, when you just get to hold the uninstalled grip, you don't get the full affect of one fitted on a pistol.

Looking at the webshop i believe you're right. They now mention the Standard, Tactical and agressive grip. I guess were lucky they don't charge us extra for the tactical grip. Don't you guys always buy Tactical Bacon from the butcher? :P

Edited by BlueVFRank

• 2 weeks later...

I use skate tape and find that I really like it. Some times the skate tape moves and strips off, does this happen with the SV grip.

Is the aggressive micropocket texture really better? I found that I do not like stippled grips. It is a difficult decision never being able to feel either.