Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best material for glock comp

hal1955

i had a 4 port aluminum comp for my glock and it worked well but the baffles eroded pretty quickly. So I had the comp duplicated in tool steel. It was effective but the gun was unreliable so I cut one port off, making it a 3 port and the gun was reliable again but the comp was not as effective. The difference in muzzle flip is VERY noticeable. Assuming that the comp was just too heavy for the gun, what is a good metal for a glock comp? does anyone have any ideas or creative solutions? Anyone have similar problems?

Edited by hal1955

Erosion in aluminum comps is a bear, especially in 9Major guns. Some have used titanium, but you understand the inherent costs of that (machining difficulty and material costs).

What weight of recoil spring were you using? I find it a little hard to grasp that a small change in compensator weight would result in such a huge difference in outcome unless you were right at the edge with a too-heavy recoil spring.

Erosion in aluminum comps is a bear, especially in 9Major guns. Some have used titanium, but you understand the inherent costs of that (machining difficulty and material costs).

What weight of recoil spring were you using? I find it a little hard to grasp that a small change in compensator weight would result in such a huge difference in outcome unless you were right at the edge with a too-heavy recoil spring.

Yeah, it "baffles" me too. I am using an ismi 13# minus 3 coils. The gun will not lock up reliably with an 11#. spring.

As you may already be aware, a compensated auto pistol must run a recoil spring considerably lighter than the same gun, firing the same ammo, without a compensator. The compensator, pushing down on the front of the barrel during firing, retards unlocking of the action until after the recoil impulse has already considerably abated. Thus a comped auto pistol running the same weight recoil spring as the exact same gun, firing the exact same ammo, without a comp will fail to cycle. What sort of ammo are you running in this gun? A 13-pound ISMI recoil spring with three coils removed seems way too heavy to me in a compgun. That's actually a recoil spring weight/treatment I would consider appropriate for an uncomped Glock firing 130-ish pf loads.

I can't really see (granted the barrel is correctly fitted) why your gun would fail to go back into battery with an 11-pound recoil spring. Also granted, natch, you have compensated (no pun intended) for the lighter recoil spring by also going to a lighter firing pin spring.

As you may already be aware, a compensated auto pistol must run a recoil spring considerably lighter than the same gun, firing the same ammo, without a compensator. The compensator, pushing down on the front of the barrel during firing, retards unlocking of the action until after the recoil impulse has already considerably abated. Thus a comped auto pistol running the same weight recoil spring as the exact same gun, firing the exact same ammo, without a comp will fail to cycle. What sort of ammo are you running in this gun? A 13-pound ISMI recoil spring with three coils removed seems way too heavy to me in a compgun. That's actually a recoil spring weight/treatment I would consider appropriate for an uncomped Glock firing 130-ish pf loads.

I can't really see (granted the barrel is correctly fitted) why your gun would fail to go back into battery with an 11-pound recoil spring. Also granted, natch, you have compensated (no pun intended) for the lighter recoil spring by also going to a lighter firing pin spring.

I am using a reduced power striker spring. Also 8 grains of HS6 in a LWD barrel at about 1360 fps. I also a U sizing die.

Aluminum is the best material for a glock comp. As mentioned before the comp needs to be light weight for reliable functioning, so your options are basically aluminum or titanium. Aluminum is so much cheaper theres no reason not to use it. Once the comp wears out buy a new one, theyre relatively inexpensive compared to steel or titanium and its not like the comp gets blended to the slide.

Edited by BlueOvalBruin