Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Malfunction?

ffl

My son was shooting a local match yesterday and the following occurred. He was shooting a Caspian 1911 double stack in 40SW it has a ramped barrel and a 9mm length ejector. Other than that is is standard.

He finished the stage and removed the magazine. Gripped the top of the slide between he muzzle and he ejector port and racked the slide. The cartridge in the gun detonated and the bullet it the RO in the shoulder who was standing behind and to the right of my son. We did find the bullet and there was a chunk out of the end. (sorry I do not have a picture). We did find the brass and posted below is a picture.

As near as we can tell the front of the cartridge hit the ejection port and the ejector hit the primer and caused it to detonate.

Any ideas on how to prevent this ?

photo1.jpg

Edited by ffl

This is why you NEVER cover the ejection port to catch the round. Hope everyone heals quick, and learns from it.

Shorten the ejector so that a loaded cartridge (tip of bullet) clears the ejection port before the base contacts the ejector.

You didn't mention how fast or slow he racked the slide. I always rack out the round as fast I rack in the round. I yank the slide pretty hard.

he said he racked it pretty hard

he normally racks the slide from the rear and catches the bullet in the air but he did not want to show off on front of another Jr shooter

I tightened the extractor as it had very little to no tension

He was shooting a Caspian 1911 double stack in 40SW it has a ramped barrel and a 9mm length ejector. Other than that is is standard.

The ejector does not need to be that long. Have a smith cut it back and tune and reduce the chance of this happening again.

• 2 weeks later...