Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NO IL Sectional

TriggerT

Just found out last night that there will NOT be an IL sectional shoot for 2004. It was supposed to be June 19, the same weekend as the Buckeye, but since there weren't enough people to work the match.......

Same old story that we see at so many clubs. The same people are being asked to work so many matches, that it gets to the point where matches start to get cancelled. The IL sectional was going to be at the same club that has hosted the Area 5 shoot the past two years, and I think the core of people are just burned out. How long until we see an area match cancelled? :(

Just found out last night that there will NOT be an IL sectional shoot for 2004. It was supposed to be June 19, the same weekend as the Buckeye, but since there weren't enough people to work the match.......

TriggerT, sorry to hear that. I worked that last two Area 5's at Polo, and it's a great club to work, and to shoot. I know this doesn't help you much with the IL Sectional, but come on down and shoot the Buckeye!! We'll show you a good time!! ;)

BDH,

I am thinking about the Buckeye. The IL sectional would have been nice, since it would only have been about an hour from my house, vs. a 5 to 6 hour drive.

More than anything esle, this just speaks to one of the MAJOR problems with our sport. Worker burn out.

BDH,

I am thinking about the Buckeye. The IL sectional would have been nice, since it would only have been about an hour from my house, vs. a 5 to 6 hour drive.

More than anything esle, this just speaks to one of the MAJOR problems with our sport. Worker burn out.

I completely understand. We are facing a similar situation and our SC (Flex) is coaching me on our need to recruit more help to keep things running smoothly. Unfortunately, the last time I checked, help doesn't grow on trees.

On top of already being somewhat short-handed, it doesn't help the local club that I am often off running around supporting other big matches, but guess what, they need the help too...... :(

Here is something that I wrote on the Area 5 page to give some helpful ideas for recruiting help for these large matches and also helping to prevent burnout:

A lot of potential newbies are intimidated by everything that goes into making our sport safe. By explaining things to them, we help them to understand why IPSC shooting is the safest thing going. We also do a club-level RO and MD class to let them get their feet, before they get certified. 90% go on to become level 1 or better, and even if they don't, these classes help promote strict compliance with the rules even at the club level, as all the instructors are certified. Remember, education is power, and the only true way to prevent the dreaded "burn-out" that is far too prevalent in our sport. If you pass the torch of education, you perpetuate the cycling in of new shooters, and ease the workload of others (such as yourself) so that they may enjoy the sport more. This must be done at the club level. In just 3 years we now have 12 Level 2 CRO's, 20 Level 1 RO's, and 10 club level RO's (clip board holders). In short, we are stacked to the hilt, so nobody gets burned out. Our club is only 150 members, of which, maybe 75 shoot IPSC. So we are not overly large. You've got to get the newbies involved early while they are fresh. I hope this information proves useful to some of these clubs that are experiencing staff burn out. I'll be at the Buckeye helping out the Rayners with a stage...Hope to see you there!!! B)

Jeff