Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays - A few questions

Canuck223

So I wound up with several pounds of Clays, and it's been occupying a space on my shelf for years.

Now I'm working up a light load in 9mm for my kids gun, and the burning rate seems appropriate.

I'm using 3.2 gr under a 125 gr BDX FMJ loaded to 1.155, and getting 925-940 fps.

The impression I get is Clays is not favoured for consistant burning. Frankly, as long as it's safe and appropriate, I'd like to burn it up.

If this was my own match ammo, I wouldn't compromise. As this is just meant for cheap training ammo, I can live with reduced performance.

Any group wisdom?

Nothing wrong with clays for minor pf loads, I used it for IDPA 9mm for awhile, I didnt get good accuracy in .40 minor but didnt have any complaints in 9mm loaded to about 135 ish.

Your 3.2gr load is well below minor should be fine. I've run 3.6-3.7 with 124gr RN at 1.145 with no issues, in fact I r un 3.2gr with 147gr Zeros. Low recoils and low report, accuracy isn't the best but 15 yards and under isn't bad.

So I wound up with several pounds of Clays, and it's been occupying a space on my shelf for years.

Now I'm working up a light load in 9mm for my kids gun, and the burning rate seems appropriate.

I'm using 3.2 gr under a 125 gr BDX FMJ loaded to 1.155, and getting 925-940 fps.

The impression I get is Clays is not favoured for consistant burning. Frankly, as long as it's safe and appropriate, I'd like to burn it up.

If this was my own match ammo, I wouldn't compromise. As this is just meant for cheap training ammo, I can live with reduced performance.

Any group wisdom?

I use Clays shooting IPSC Prod., IDPA and USPSA Prod.

There is nothing wrong you do, Clays has large size flakes, and you are most likely getting variations in powder charges, thus velocity variations.

Just pulled up my chrono data, 3.2gr under Berry's 124gr RNDS at OAL 1.12" gave me 916-948ft/sec, mean velocity was 935ft/sec - about same ballpark.

I'm at about sea level, outside temp during chrono was +16C (61F). Out my Shadow with stock barrel.