Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor +8 extension for g35

jswitt99

Ok Robin at Taylor-Freelance contacted me and this is a summary of what he wrote . . .

Option 1:He has a few aluminum +0s based on an older, longer pattern (he shortened the design to fit into the IPSC "Standard" box years ago). He machined one of those out last night and got a very reasonable +2 (as tested). He thought he could likely create a few of those, BUT by machining them down and removing the internal locking system, the only "locking system" is a couple of worn plastic bumps bearing on a sloped piece of aluminum. The part will come off under stress.

Option 2: That older part leaves about 3mm of room un-used. It's probably not enough to get +3 in .40, but another mm or so would make +2 fit easily. He said he would custom-make a set for me, with a locking system, but that's more expensive.

He's pretty confident he can get 24.5 rounds in a mag. Sound's good to me. That last half round takes some tension off and should eliminate those dreaded FTE's I get when I stuff my mags full. Robin said he could work on them in a week or two so I ordered two. He also added that he has a few different ideas he'd like to try out on the locking system. We'll find out what they are and how they'll work soon.

This is an interesting post by MarkCO in the "21 rounds in a 40 Glock" thread, hope it isn't true.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138756&view=findpost&p=1579923

Just FYI, those mags were not reliable for me at all. I tired all sorts of modifications with stock, +1, +2, and +4 pads. My understanding is they were made for a LE contract, the agency had reliability issues and so Glock sold them to the general public. 15 round bodies with +8 TF pads were 100% reliable for me.

Even if you can get a 24 rounds in a Glock .40 mag with a 8+ pad, I prefer the Taylor Freelance solution as the mag is long enough that you don't have to worry about the transition of the follower between mag and pad. Robin told me the OEM spring is quite stout so you won't have to worry about the follower hanging up or buy a different spring. Lastly, you don't have to Cram that last round into the mag and risk a FTF.

Cheers

Edited by Wildkow