Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP: How to prep a gun for a big match?

Art Yeo

My SW1911PC (PC = Performance Center) failed.

Your problem isn't the plunger tube. Your problem is the gun you're shooting.

I wouldn't rely on anything made by Smith and Wesson (especially a "Performance Center" gun), and I wouldn't be surprised if you continue to have problems.

Your problem isn't the plunger tube. Your problem is the gun you're shooting.

I wouldn't rely on anything made by Smith and Wesson (especially a "Performance Center" gun), and I wouldn't be surprised if you continue to have problems.

I am learning ... could you elaborate on this, please?

Had both (2) Colts and an Essex frame do that to me so Don't be so fast to blame the MFG. it isn't the most secure way to affix that tube for high use like we put them through..( some may read this as "if you haven't had one come loose you aren't running the gun enough" ) I have even seen Bullseye 1911s loosen this part...

EGW and Pachmayr and Briely make plunger tube / thumb shields held on by the grip panel,.. if you don't like the thumb shield part you can remove it.. I cut down a Pachmayr 17 years ago and haven't had a problem since..it sits up about 1/4" above the tube providing a slight ledge to ward off the thumb...

and if I recall most widebody manufacturers fixed this " design flaw " by making theirs integral to the frames ? ;)

back to the OP :

clean it ,Inspect it,lube it and shoot it in a local club match and hope Murphy is on vacation during your match..

In the past I have seen folks with all sorts of setups spare guns, complete fitted spare internals spare can of ammo spare complete holster rigs etc. Conclusion : If it is your turn for equip failure it won't matter if a rabbits foot is hanging on your rangebag or a four leaf clover is taped to your ear protection...... you just do the best you can have fun and run it like you stole it....

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

This happened with my S&W 1911PD. Actually, the rear leg of the plunger tube sheared off. S&W replaced it, sure, but then the mag catch lock broke (twice) and I had to send it back because of hammer-follow...my SA Trophy Match hasn't had any problems and has at least 3 times the round count. I buy S&W revolvers, but this is my last S&W semiauto, I think.