Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Witness Match Range Report

dukeguy

Picked up a new Witness Match yesterday. I ordered it through Davidson's, who shipped it to a local shop where I picked it up. I had never purchased a gun through Davidson's but this turned out to be a pretty good way to do this thing. I got a good price, overnight shipping, and no FFL fee. Plus they give you a guaranteed lifetime replacement warranty. If anything goes wrong with the gun, they replace it. If no replacement is available, the repair it at no charge. Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

My first impression was that the gun is very solid and substantial. For the last few years the only thing I have shot has been polymer guns, mainly Glocks. So when I took the Match out of it's case it seemed like it weighed a ton compared to what I've been shooting. But it also feels very solid, which I really like.

I field stripped it last night and today I hit the range. My first target was a simple bullseye target set at 10 yards. The first shot from a rest was a dead center bullseye. Frankly, I had heard others say that these guns were dead-on accurate right out of the box, but I didn't expect it to be THAT accurate! Subsequent shots were just as accurate, grouping tightly in and around the bullseye. Needless to say, I made no adjustments to the sights!

Trigger pull is very smooth, short and crisp. There are adjustments for pretravel and reset, but as good as it is right out of the box, I'm going to run it for a while as-is.

Recoil was very minimal. The extra weight and balance of the gun really absorb it, making it very easy to stay on target for follow-up shots. In a 10 yard El Prez drill I was able to group shots in 2-3" groups, which is very good for me.

The Match only came with 1 mag, which is my only complaint. The gun came in a very nice, locking case that I will probably put in the closet with all the other pistol cases that are stacked in there. I would rather they would have given me another mag rather than the fancy case that I won't use. But the good news is I got the new mag, rather than the problematic one and I've ordered 3 more from EAA.

I did have two jams but they were both with short OAL loads. Evidently it doesn't like short loads as all of my longer loads cycled perfectly.

Overall I put 200+ rounds downrange today with only those two failures. Great accuracy. Great feel. I'm a very happy shooter tonight!

You beat me to posting same range report. I took my new Match 9mm to range last night as well.

I definatelly agree with your review, its an awsome gun. I shot my XDM 9mm right after it, and i feel like i want to sell XDM because Match is so good.

I adjusted trigger last night after shooting, shorter pretravel and overtravel is noticable. I will have to test it on the weekend.

Dig you get extra mag from eaa or from davidsons? Is it 17 or 18 rnd ?

You beat me to posting same range report. I took my new Match 9mm to range last night as well.

I definatelly agree with your review, its an awsome gun. I shot my XDM 9mm right after it, and i feel like i want to sell XDM because Match is so good.

I adjusted trigger last night after shooting, shorter pretravel and overtravel is noticable. I will have to test it on the weekend.

Dig you get extra mag from eaa or from davidsons? Is it 17 or 18 rnd ?

I ordered directly from EAA because I have the 17 rd. mag and I couldn't find one anywhere else. Here's the link http://eaacorp.com/

I took it out again today and put another 150 rds. through it and it shot even better for me today (I assume that means I'm getting used to it). Someone on one of the forums called the Match the "best kept secret" in the gun world. I have to agree!

Glad you guys like em. I started with a match in 40 S&W, then got a 38 super match, then got a 9mm Limited, and now i have a 38 super gold team in the mail. I LOVE this platform! All plastic guns (glocks, XDs) seem considerably less desireable after shooting a Tanfoglio/Witness. I totally agree this is the best kept secret.

dukeguy: what were the OAL's on the two jams? I've had a few failure to load , nose on feed ramp, in my new Limited 10mm.

I'm shooting 9mm, so I'm not sure what differences there would be in load characteristics but here's my load info:

What seemed to be the best load:

124 gr. FMJ

4.2 Titegroup

Two that jammed:

115 gr. FMJ

3.5 Win 231

124 gr. FMJ

3.5 Titegroup

Anything over 1.14 seemed to cycle best. I also shot some Federal 115 gr. factory and it cycled perfectly as well.

Edited by dukeguy