Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sneaky fees in a brokerage account

HS101

I checked on my IRAs today, and what did I see? A $30 fee in each one labeled as "Annual IRA Account Fee". Now, if it had always been charged, or if I had been alerted to a new fee, I might not be so mad... (I purposely chose this brokerage because of low commissions and no fees) Their Website still proclaims "No Annual IRA fee"... I Smell BS. Either they are trying to get money and only refunding those that catch it, or they have implemented a new ploicy without alerting anyone or altering their literature (they are entirely an online brokerage)

HATE, HATE, HATE BS like this... Even if they fix it, I think I need to switch firms now... How do I let my entire retirement sit with a company I can not, and will not trust? :angry2:

You caught them this time. No telling how many other times they hit you with "hidden fees" that you did not detect.

There are lots of management companies out there so the competition for your business should be fierce. Its bad enough that the economy and market returns really suck, you should not need to worry about the broker trying to nickel and dime you.

Vote with your feet. Time to move.

Bill

I have this happen at several banks and firms, they always oppoligize, claim it is a mistake and refund it. But it seems to happen to often for a simple error. I think just like Walmart, the "mistakes" are part of there profit plan and offering immediate refunds tro the percentage that catch it keeps them out of legal trouble,