Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack solid full length guide rod & More

HPD SRT

Hey, I'm jumping into single stack with my newly purchased Springfield Range Officer. My question is, which full length guid rod should I go with? I have done some searching and there are many different types and sizes. From what I understand I have to stick with stainless due to the weight limit in SS. I have already done a few mods and this is close to next on the list right behind a Dawson FO front sight. Let me know of some options, it's much appreciated!!

RLTW

Edited by HPD SRT

Shoot it for a while and maybe you’ll find you don’t even want a FL guide rod. They are more reliable though since they’re easier on the springs. I think you’ll find there aren’t a whole lot of differences between the various one-piece SS guide rods, they don’t really do much besides add weight, retain the spring, and get smashed between the slide and frame.

Smashed between the slide and frame? Is this something I need to worry about? I like the idea of adding weight out front though, I do that with all my other pistols to zap some recoil.

The aluminum rods are great for those that like the idea of the full length rod, but don't like the weight out front. Steel12 uses aluminum and his weighs 38oz and change. I use a steel FLGR and my SS also weighs in at 38oz and change. I took weight out of other areas so I could still be in the 38's with the steel rod. I like the way the gun handles with a SS rod.

With production 1911's, I've seen several that really could use an aluminum FLGR just to ensure they make weight.

Dawson tool-less.

Even for a bushing gun?

yes, dawson has a tool less for bushing guns!! they look identical, it just has an open ended cap. The aluminum guide rods are nice, we have a few open shooters that use them and love em.

The whole idea is to balance your gun out, for point ability, and to make weight. Its no different then shooting open division for example some people want to put weight up front to counter the weight of the back end of the gun. Kinda the same principle, but its all personal preference.

Dawson tool-less.

Even for a bushing gun?

Even more so for a bushing gun. Taking down a bushing gun "as JMB intended" is an exercise in masochism. An FLGR drilled with a takedown hole is good, but the Dawson is friggin' awesome.