Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Less recoil load for Steel Challenge shoot?

leros

I'm doing my first Steel Challenge shoot this weekend and was wondering if I should load a softer shooting load than I normally shoot. The guy I spoke with that runs the shoot said that guys that shoot larger calibers tend to load a lighter load for these shoots. I normally shoot a standard load of 4.3gns of Clays behind 200gn Rainier bullets but was thinking of trying a batch at 3.6 grns and another at 4.0grns to see if there is a difference in recoil as compared to the 4.3 loads. I will also take a chrono to test all of them to see what speed difference there is if any (I've been meaning to test my regular loads anyway).

For those of you that shoot steel and/or USPSA/IDPA, do you lighten your loads for shoots? Am I over thinking this trying to lessen my recoil? I must say, I am a bit nervous but excited to get this first shoot under my belt.

First match, shoot what you have. You are used to it, and know that it works in your gun.

I used to use Steel Challenge as a supplement to my USPSA shooting, so I always used my Limited gun load. That let me keep the same timing, and everything else was consistent as well. (including my loading bench)

You can try searching for minor loads in the 45 Caliber reloading forum:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

However, if the match is this weekend I'd go with Flex's recommendation. Most likely you will need to change your recoil spring to make the gun function. You also need to make sure the load is accurate out to 35 yards. If the load won't provide decent groups at 20+ yards you will have big problems with steel challenge. Those far away plates shrink to half their normal size when the buzzer goes off.

Once you have a load that hits well and is safely above the minimum power factor, extra powder is just throwing $$ away.

Shoot what you have for the first couple matches, why complicate things?

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a bunch of my regular loads already loaded so I will more than likely shoot those. I'm going to have more than enough to worry about with the stress and nervousness of shooting my first match so changing a load might not be the best thing to do. With that said, I am a tinkerer and loaded some small primer lighter loads to try out at the range. I brought those, my regular loads, and a chronograph with me to work so I will stop by the range on my way home today to test the speed and accuracy and to see if there is much change in the lighter loads as compared to the regular loads. I loaded them in small primer brass because another anal thing I do is worry too much about picking up my brass so with the small primer brass I won't stress about picking them up and can let them lay after I shoot. If there is time after to pick them up then I'll let my brass wand do it's magic! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I did try a couple different loads at the range, tried to chrono them but I apparently need to buy the indoor light kit for my chrono because I couldn't get it to read correctly indoors. The lighter loads I tried ended up shooting different than what I was used to shooting so I decided to use what I normally loaded and shot.

The Steel Challenge was a blast to shoot, the guy running it grouped me with some of his friends that shoot it regularly to show me the ropes. I was a little nervous at first but got comfortable and settled in. After the shoot I felt that I did fair, I made some dumb mistakes, I didn't shoot great but I didn't shoot terrible either and figured I finished somewhere in the middle, I didn't know how many guys shot Limited so I had no clue. The results came out last week and I was pleasantly surprised, 33 guys in Limited and I ended up 9th. What made me feel even better was that I beat the guys that showed me how to shoot Steel Challenge!

Now I'm looking forward to the next one in October and I will shoot the same rounds I'm used to and try not to make the dumb mistakes I made this first go around, like not watching the front sight! Thanks again for all the responses.

What I found worked well is to take the load you have and substitute a lighter bullet.

For 45ACP, I'd go with a 185gr bullet.

And I'd definitely try to get a softer shooting load for SC. It makes a huge difference.

A 185 gr @ 750 fps would be ideal for 45ACP if it will run the gun reliably after 300 rounds have gotten the gun dirty.

What range did you shoot at ?

• 1 month later...

I'm doing my first Steel Challenge shoot this weekend and was wondering if I should load a softer shooting load than I normally shoot. The guy I spoke with that runs the shoot said that guys that shoot larger calibers tend to load a lighter load for these shoots. I normally shoot a standard load of 4.3gns of Clays behind 200gn Rainier bullets but was thinking of trying a batch at 3.6 grns and another at 4.0grns to see if there is a difference in recoil as compared to the 4.3 loads. I will also take a chrono to test all of them to see what speed difference there is if any (I've been meaning to test my regular loads anyway).

For those of you that shoot steel and/or USPSA/IDPA, do you lighten your loads for shoots? Am I over thinking this trying to lessen my recoil? I must say, I am a bit nervous but excited to get this first shoot under my belt.

Cannot help with a plated bullet bload since I use the 185 gr. LSWC in my 1911's. 3.8 gr. HS-700X, Rem 2 1/2 gives the 185 gr. LSWC ca 715-720 fps with bullseye level accuracy and very mild recoil.