Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rubber Grip Corrosion?

gr7070

I'm somewhat new to the revolver world and have a simple question I've never seen addressed.

I've heard about rubber grip panels causing 1911 frames to rust under the panels due to moisture being caught between. Last night I found a little rust under my rubber 1911 grips - it is a stainless 1911. Since I don't shoot it that much anymore, in favor of my revolvers, I put my wood panels back on it for more long-term storage.

So, why don't I hear about a similar problem on revolvers, especially with the widespread use of the rubber monogrips on modern S&W revolvers?

I've taken my revolver grips off often enough over the last year, but mostly for reasons like trying new grips, changing mainsprings, adjusting tension, etc. Once I get everything the way I like it, I can see myself not taking the grips off for some time - I wouldn't typically take them off for each cleaning.

Is this kind of rust a concern for S&Ws with the rubber monogrips? Do y'all frequently take your grips off to clean and oil the grip frame?

The blue or stainless revolvers will get rust too, it's the same as with the autos. It's usually just thin surface rust, easily removed with a wire brush or Scotchbrite.

Edited by Toolguy

Seen a few used revolvers that mentioned rust pitting under the rubber grips, I picked up a used 627 which has a small "corrosion line" that would probably lead to pitting if I didn't address it...

Seen a few used revolvers that mentioned rust pitting under the rubber grips, I picked up a used 627 which has a small "corrosion line" that would probably lead to pitting if I didn't address it...

Must be a popular condition. My used 627 had some light rust under the grips as well. A minute with a brass brush and some CLP and it was gone.