Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for Berrys 200gr RNF for 45?

GregJ

(Title supposed to be 45ACP)

I need to load some Berrys up for a local indoor IDPA classifier. I got some Berrys cause the range doesnt allow cast bullets, and didnt want any hassles with my Precision bullets. I havent loaded this particular bullet before, and was wondering what the general recommendation for an OAL was. They will be run in my Kimber Gold Match II. I usually load my Precision 200gr RNF with 5.4gr of W231 at 1.220. I know this load is a little light of major PF, but it should work for this match. I loaded a few at 1.200, all rounds were crimped at .469 and run through a case gauge. They seemed to chamber fine and manually ejected ok, but looked a little long. The Berry's RNF bullet is a little shorter than the Precision, probably due to the concave base of the Precision.

Edited by GregJ

"FAQ: How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Thanks, but I am well aware of their "disclaimer", having loading Berrys for a couple of years now for 380, 9mm, and 45ACP. My question is specifically for a suggested OAL for their 200gr FP bullet in 45ACP.

I've been shooting this same bullet for several years and my OAL is 1.200. This length runs good in all my .45's except my G36. It doesn't like the bullet design, so I just shoot ball ammo in it. All my 1911's like it. I load them over Unique powder.