Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blackhawk Hydration Packs

blind bat

I have a big range bag for filled with stuff I don't need for match day: stapler, spray paint, tape, timer, etc. I'm thinking of getting a dedicated hydration style pack for match day dedicated to holding the essentials (gun, rig, ammo, eyes/ears, small tools/parts and LOTS of water).

I've been having trouble finding a pack with pockets well suited for holding range gear. Most of them seem to be geared towards bicycling with pockets and clips for things like bike helmets.

The Blackhawk packs seem very like they are the type of pack I'm looking for but I've never seen one in person. Does anyone use a Blackhawk Predator or Stingray pack for a small range bag? If so what do you think of it? How has it held up and have you experienced any problems with it?

Have not use them, but if you are not set on the Blackhawk, then Camelbak has some military packs that are very well made. I needed a medium pack and got the HAWG - good overall size and the bladder has a hose that detaches for cleaning. And if you shop around you can find pretty good prices.

• 2 weeks later...

What fits is a function of bladder size, not brand. A pack that holds a 100 oz bladder will hold any brand bladder that is of similar size or smaller. They all come out to be filled or cleaned.

In my experience, older Blackhawk gear was tough and well made but my last few experiences were bad. Gear not holding up, especially the stitching. I much prefer Camelback and a few other makers (kifaru and eagle come to mind). I have a medium size Kifaru ruck and it makes all the others look like wasted money. Its like scopes, buy the right one the first time and only cry once.

FWIW, a lot of different packs made now have a rear slot for a bladder and Camelbak makes a couple different 100oz packs that fit into those. I have an insulated Camelbak insert that's intended to be used during the winter to keep water from freezing, but it works just fine in the summer with ice water in it.