Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FO front for an older 627

gr7070

I'm looking at an older 627-PC from around 1997.

As I understand it, they have a pinned front sight, not the interchangeable front sight that the new ones use. However, the pin location on the older 627 appears to be rather close to the front (muzzle) compared to the SDM Super Sights or the new 686-style pinned sights.

I suspect the pin location on the older 627 could create some problems or added costs if I wanted to add an FO front sight to the gun.

Here's the 1997 627, again the pin looks far forward:

photo-16.jpg

Here's a new 686 which takes the typical SDM Super Sight:

164222_01_lg1.jpg

Of course there are other sights than the SDM, but I suspect most all are prepared for a pin in the location of the current 686s and other Smiths like it???

Any thoughts or help?

Understood, however, the lug on the SDM sight that accepts the hole/pin appears to be further back on the sight's body to match the newer 686 location and the hole on the older 627 appears like it might be too far forward and would miss the lug on the SDM sight. Therefore making the SDM and other currently available sights a non-option for an older 627.

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Super_Sights.html

I could certainly be wrong, but that appears to be the case???

Edited by gr7070

Todd

Go to Warren's dealer page and scroll down to the first photo, that is what the muzzle looks like for a revolver with the classic quick change sight. It looks like the 627 that you show a picture of with the pin way forward is a quick change sight. The quick change sights will have a hole in the front of the front sight ramp as shown in Warren's picture.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115209

It does look like it takes the "classic" interchangeable sights.

I have a first-run 627PC in the safe....I'll try to remember to check whether it has the interchangeable sight system when I get home tonight.

(Unless somebody else knows for sure.)

Agreed, the side view of the sight and its pin placement does look like the interchangeable sights. I've been told the old 627s are not interchangeable, both the owner and on the web, IIRC. I've wondered if that info is incorrect, and am looking into that possibility as well - I've asked for a photo from the front end of the gun.

I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered and I don't buy an older gun and find out I have X significant issue and am then wishing I had bought a different one.

I have a first-run 627PC in the safe....I'll try to remember to check whether it has the interchangeable sight system when I get home tonight.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the offer!