Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning down work

-JQ-

I also hate getting asked to do too much, for too little, without enough time to do a proper job....uggg. <_< ...especially when they are a "Fortune 5" company.

I feel a little sick, but their timeline just isn't doable and I don't want to ruin my first job for them by slapping something together...even if they are "OK" with it...and not just for a few beans. Just how I want to be known "that guy who can slap crap together for almost free"

That shows your level of integrity as well as pride in your work! Although it hurts, good for you being able to say no. Hopefully you were able to refer them to somebody (even a competitor) that you trust to do a good job by them.

Sometimes being big carries with it the illusion of invincibility. Too often vendors try to make miracles happen to solicit future good will. If the vendor fails, the big guy passes the blame. If the vendor succeeds, the big guy learns nothing except to expect miracles.

Every once and a while you need to let them know your limitations.

Turning down work is a very hard thing to do, especially when it's paying work. It's not so hard when it's "next to free". However comprimising ones' injtegrity is a slippery slope of which it's nearly impossible to recover.

My company had the bright idea of scheduling more than we have man hours for then decide to take what very few days off we have to clean it up. I think its gonna come back to bite the hard when they get alot of junk turned in after working huge stretches with no time off.

Edited by EkuJustice