Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X5 Comp 40 cal - Limited Division?

Phil413

Hi,

Is this a competitive rig for Limited Division? With most of the shooters I know running STI and/or Para, they can load up to 19 rounds of .40 cal rounds. Whats the highest capacity rounds available for this X5? My friend has an X5 9mm Competition and it shoots really sweet and accurate.

Thanks,

Sweet shooting guns, but severely limited capacity when compared to other limited guns. If I recall correctly I got 14 rounds of 40. I think there is still a guy making +2 basepads but 16 isn't much better when compared to 21.

My favorite X5 is the tactical but I am certainly not good enough to shoot limited minor.

Actually, there are STI mags (Rescomp tubes) that can hold 22, FWIW...

The Sig X5 in .40 is definitely capacity limited for Limited division. There are a number of situations I've seen where it leaves you having to do a 2nd reload in the stage - it's just at the wrong point on the threshold... That said, if it's what you've already go, don't let it stop you from coming out and shooting it. But, it sounds like you don't own one, yet. For the same money, you can get into a suitable (and capacity competitive) Limited rig on a number of platforms ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get 18 in the mag you will be just find in limited, you will rarely ever put mag #3 in the gun. I use a SV for limited but have started using a X5 9mm for outlaw 3 gun matches. In 9mm the gun has so little movement it shoots like a dream. What the hell, be different, get the Sig.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the .40 competition model and have Roger Sherman's base pads with meggar's long mags that came with a plus 2 basepad. I get 18 rounds in and that is usually enough for Limited assuming you don't miss much. It's better for limited 10 where round count is equal to your competition. I have overloaded my mags to 19 rounds and the mags expand and won't go in the gun so you need to be sure you only have 18 loaded.

I think the grip is larger than what you can get on 2011 models so they are less suitable for smaller hands. It would be helpful to compare one side by side with a 2011. Trigger, accuracy, reset are great and they look sexy. I also think the slide is heavier than you can get with pricey 2011 models and there are fewer springs around to tinker with.

Mine has been a great upgrade to XD's I have used in USPSA. It was ready to compete without any tinkering and upped my scores alot. I just ordered newly available Hogue G-10 grips for it.

• 3 months later...

I have the .40 competition model and have Roger Sherman's base pads with meggar's long mags that came with a plus 2 basepad. I get 18 rounds in and that is usually enough for Limited assuming you don't miss much. It's better for limited 10 where round count is equal to your competition. I have overloaded my mags to 19 rounds and the mags expand and won't go in the gun so you need to be sure you only have 18 loaded.

I think the grip is larger than what you can get on 2011 models so they are less suitable for smaller hands. It would be helpful to compare one side by side with a 2011. Trigger, accuracy, reset are great and they look sexy. I also think the slide is heavier than you can get with pricey 2011 models and there are fewer springs around to tinker with.

Mine has been a great upgrade to XD's I have used in USPSA. It was ready to compete without any tinkering and upped my scores alot. I just ordered newly available Hogue G-10 grips for it.

Where did the new grips come from?

I ordered the grips directly from Hogue. They are nice with a little rougher finish than factory grips. They do seem to take up more room than factory, slightly more so if your factory grips are too big the new grips may be worse. I'm out of shooting for this year as I cope with carpel tunnel syndrone so I have not gotten much time with the new grips.

Otherwise, the x5 can be had for alot less than sti 2011 setups and has a good trigger and good accuracy. The main time 18 rounds in mag has been a problem is when I miss steel. (spanking authorized here). They are good guns and I want a 9mm all round to cross train with in production. Best deal I saw on an all round is at cheaper than dirt.