Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger question

thomas223

I am having trouble finding info on how to increase trigger take up on my sti. I want to know if I take some of the sear were the disconnector touches is what I need to do to get more take up. And yes I know about the tap on the trigger bow thats not my problem. All the info I can find is on how to decrease the take up. Thanks for any help.

several ways, take off material at the back of the disco, you can take all the way to .030 make sure both sides are equal, take off material at the sear legs. same deal do both sides the same and polish, i think you can go to .075 but i do not remeber the dimension.

What exactly do you mean by trigger take up? Are you looking to create more distance that the trigger travels before starting to move the disconnector? Or are you looking to minimize that distance?

I've never been asked to increase the trigger play but if that's what you want.

Does the trigger have adjusting tabs on the front of the bow? Many triggers come with two tabs - one on each side of the trigger itself that are bent out to reduce trigger play. If those are there you can bend them back a bit. If not I would probably use a riffler file and advance the sloped portion of the trigger channel inside the frame. I don't advocate changing the geometry of the sear and certainly wouldn't suggest filing on the back of the disconnector. You may gain some by polishing the back of the trigger bow and the front of the disconnector but no where near the .020 that you want.

Its done all the time and is perfectly safe, whats not safe is if you don't have enough take up then your halfcock notch will not work. Most guns need about .035 to .045 takeup to function properly. I just did a Les Baer and the factory disco legs were .032 I wanted to add a nicer disco but its legs were at .038 My trigger had the tabs bent all the way in so now the only way I could achieve more takeup was to remove material off the disco legs back to the factory dimension. Or I could have taken material off the sear legs and done the same thing.