Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling Bullets

JohnMc

I have been shooting Moly coated bullets for 2 years. I have never had a problem with them. Today at a local match, I had several rounds tumble through the targets at as close as 3 meters. My Edge has about 15k rounds through it. I haven't changed my powder charge. I have changed from Precision Bullets to Masterblaster bullets. Any Ideas? Other shooters are using the same bullet with no problems.

I have never had bullets tumble(lead or jacketed) in any traditional rifled barrel but I have had plated bullets tumble in a Glock barrel. I never did any research into it. I just switched to jacketed out of my Glock. What causes it? I wish I knew. Hope you get an answer. TXAG

John:

You didn't give caliber info, but I may have some help-

I shoot Masterblasters as well. I've shot about 5 -7K of 45ACP. They have worked great. I recently tried 9mm through a Glock 34and got he same results you saw. I was using Titegroup powder.

When I e-mailed the MasterBlaster folks, they said there was a known issue with their bullets and fast powders in 9mm. The coating gets stripped off the bullets and deposits in the grooves - evectively turning your pistol into a musket - with predictable results - tumbling! I don't know if it is a pressure issue, an acceleration issue, or bullet deformation issue. Point is, the last third of your barrel will be a smooth bore. Stuff comes out fairly easily.

The advice is to use a slower powder. MB sells powder (Ramshot) that is supposed to work fine. They also suggested that if you can't get Ramshot, check the burnrate chart and find something close - there's a chart on the powder section of their wbsite.

I have not been able to find another powder yet, so I don't have a recco for you.

I use Clays, which is very fast, to push the 45's but I think since the round is so low pressure, there's no problem with the coating.

If you're shooting .40, then you could see the same problems as with the 9mm. Both rounds are fairly high pressure.

I too have seen plateds tumble out of both a Glock and HK - both have polygonal rifling. This may also be an issue of the bore getting fouled and becoming a cannon suitable for shooting only round balls.

Geek

Once the lead fouling become so bad that it makes bullets tumble, shouldn't the shooting stop since it might spike up high pressures from 40 S&W, specially when using fast burning powders? I thought leaded barrels were the primary reasons of stock barreled Glocks going KABOOM?!! josh

The crimp is fine. The Precision Bullets were .401, the Masterblasters are .400. I fired 45rds through my Edge and another 45rds through my Eagle, 3 tumbled out of the Edge, none out of the Eagle. I ASSUME that the bore on the Edge has opened up. Both bores look about the same. What is the diameter of a .40 Montana Gold?

I guess, that for some reason, my Edge will not shoot the MasterBlaster molys. I ran 200 gr MGs, Factory Winchester 165s and 180s,Precision Molys, No problems with anything except for the MasterBlasters. They shoot fine out of my S&W 610 and my Eagle. I have cleaned the barrel until it is spotless. I used a set of calipers to compare the Eagle and Edge barrels. land to land, they are the same.

Gun Geek, I have been using N320, works great with Precision Molys. Which Ramshot due they recommend? There are several listed on the burn chart I looked at.

Thanks for Everyone Help.

JohnMc

I don't think this a leading problem, though I wouldn't shoot any until the stuff is cleaned out (as you have already done).

I got to look at the chart - Tom recc'd Silhouette and others about that same speed HS-6, Universal Clays, and N340.

TrueBlue is even slower, and I think there is someone on this board trying it out, so you might try a search.

Also, send Tom at MasterBlasters an e-mail, the contact info is on the MB site. He will be happy to help you.

Tell him the guy who shoots 45's and 9's in Lexington, KY sent you - he'll know what you're talking about. Might be good to copy this thread and send it to him.

Geek

tumbling bullets typically are caused by something messing up the rear end of the bullet, the part that steers it .... if you have too tight a crimp, extremely fast burning powder burning off the rear end (expecially with lead bullets without gas checks)... too long a case neck that enters the leade area and causes deformation of the bullet.... regards