Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire MAG5-60 60rd HCM in the wild

SC-Texas

I was given a Surefire 60rd mag to review, demo and try make it malfunction.

I am ashamed to say that I have failed . . . . to make it malfunction!

I have disassembled and reassembled the magazine numerous times in an attempt to put it together wrong. The damn thing is lawyer proof!

Here are a few videos that I put together:

This video shows assembly and dissassembly

Edited by SC-Texas

This video was made at the Leona texas 4th of July Machinegun Shoot at the Allison Ranch. It worked in all manner of M16 lowers and with all manner of uppers that it was designed for,

Slow Motion video of a 60rd Mag Dump out of my DPMS homebuilt M16 with POF 9.25" Piston upper.

Not that you would or ever need to, but are these magazines drop free? I would assume the welded seams are very tight and they look good but it still begs the question. Also how much room is left over after the sixty rounds are loaded? Is there any extra so that they could be left fully loaded for a time?

Not that you would or ever need to, but are these magazines drop free? I would assume the welded seams are very tight and they look good but it still begs the question. Also how much room is left over after the sixty rounds are loaded? Is there any extra so that they could be left fully loaded for a time?

I'll check this out tonight. I have mainly been running the mag for realiability purposes across multiple lower and upper combinations and ammo combinations. It has passed this evaluation with flying colors!

I'll check this out tonight. I have mainly been running the mag for realiability purposes across multiple lower and upper combinations and ammo combinations. It has passed this evaluation with flying colors!

So what was the verdict here?

So what was the verdict here?

The magazine dropped free in my POF 3 gun match rifle and my other defense/tactical rifles. I will try a few more tonight.

Originally posted by Matt E.:

For those of you who already have mags...

Although the mag is easy to assemble and disassemble, it is not as easy as a standard mag. When reassembling the mag, it is possible to "get it wrong" or make a kink in the spring if you aren't paying attention and keeping them to the rear of the mag.

The best way to reassemble the mag is to first emplace the 2 column follower, the 2 column follower spring and 4 column follower into the mag body. There is only one way it can go.

Now, take the divider/spring guide (looks like a curved popsicle stick with a flat base) and slide it through the slot in the 2 column follower that is at the top of the mag, vic the feed lips.(as if you are loading, or stabbing the follower) You may have to flip it over and look into the bottom of the mag. Ensure that the curve of the divider is going in the same direction of the curve in the mag. Now, you should have the divider flat on it's own base,(on a table or flat surface) going through the 2 column follower from the top of the mag, which in turn will go through the 2 follower spring. You will be able to see it looking down into the bottom of the mag. Now, you have a platform in which to load the two 4 follower springs and the coupler. As the springs are compressed, the divider will remain inside the spring coils and keep them in line at the rear of the mag. Once the springs are compressed, and snapped beneath the base plate tabs, you simply pull the divider out of the top of the follower, and slide it into position at the bottom of the mag, inside the bottom 2 column follower spring, ensuring that the divider's curve is going the same way as the mag's curve. Replace the base plate. Now, load the mag. For the most part, if you have done something wrong, you will know in the first 10 rounds. Test for function.

I have disassembled and assembled the mags several times with no issues just "jamming the springs back in." It can certainly be done. However, the above TTP leaves less room for error. If you are anything like me, you don't take you mags apart often anyway. (I spent a few years in the Army, and shoot some. I have only disassembled 1, One, as in a single 30 round mag in my whole life. Just throwing that out there) But, I know guys will take these apart anyway.

Let me know if there are any questions to the above TTP. When you guys read it, it may not make sense as I wrote it, and I'll be glad to expound.

Matt E is a surefire rep and posted this on Lightfighter.