Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 mods

TGO

I handled one at Ozark Sportsman Supply last night, prior to our monthly USPSA match. It feels really good..and the reset and pre travel are significantly shorter out of the box, good news for anyone with smaller hands. I'm the odd duck in my area and shoot an XD Tactical model. The moment I walk through the door, one of the locals/friend that works there calls me over and says I have something I want to show you. He hands me the XDM 5.25 and the lust begins...as far as cost goes, I have been curious since it's announcement.In my area, the XDM 5.25 will sell in the high 6's, for those were curious like I was. I think they have a winner with this model, but my XD Tactical is not broken, so I don't need to fix it!

Some observations I had with the short time handling it:

1. It's trigger is better out of the box

2. The rear sight on this pistol is awesome

3. It has a quicker sight alignment than my XD Tac (see number 2)

4. It feels great!

5. I'm sure I got an insecure look from my Xd at some point in the match (maybe that is where the one no shoot came from? :))

6. It's a great looking pistol in person.

Just returned from range, working up load for the Steel Challenge. This XDm 5.25 responds very well to low velocity loads. Out of my 5.25 I am running a 115 grain Nosler JHP at 1020 FPS and it ejects and locks back perfectly. Thats with the stock recoil spring. I am trying a Solid guide rod from Springer Precision, that has me weighing about 30.5 ozs. I'll definitely use the heaviest guide rod I can when those weights get established for production. I notice softer recoil with the CCC tungsten rod, hope that will make the weight!

Not that I need this, but with the above load I shot 8X's, 1-10 and 1-8 on the NRA Bianchi cup target at 50 yards. I'm really stunned at how well this thing shoots. It is already better than the XD I used to win the match this year! Next year is going to be fun, after I get some time to fine tune and practice.

Now it's all about the steel challenge. I'm not sure I'm fast enough to catch the speedy BJ Norris, but I'm certainly not going to be held back by the gun.

Shot my first match with the 5.25 at Tuesday Night Steel, placed second behind our Limited National Champ Nils who was shooting Limited class. I'm needing a little more Speed right now!!! Like Ricky Bobby, I wanna go fast!!!!

Rob