Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS Precision Stocks

STIGUY

Due to my current cost constraints/budget, I have decided to go with a HS Precision as opposed to McMillan, Manners etc. Question: is there a difference between the Varmint and Tactical Stocks for the Rem 700 S/A. Hopefully I will be able to "upgrade" this to somethng mote adjustable in the near future. I am just getting ansy about my "project" as I still need to buy the Bottom Metal and Optic.

H S Precision stocks...they use Lon Horiuchi rather heavily in their ad campaigns. He might be able to help you aim right, as he gives H S the ruby ribbon when it is curtains for the bad guy (or girl) ;)

Alex

It is a factory varmint barrel. Ordered varmint model and it has a cheap platic stock. I was just wonderig if there is a differnce between the HS Precision Varmint and Tactial stocks. The purpose....is a better stock?

I beleave the regular HSP stocks have a shorter length of pull, no palm swell, and a thinner foregrip compared to the PSS stocks, a R5 recoil pad will fit a regular stock but not the PSS version due to its increased LOP.

There are several versions of the Tactical stock but the Varmint stocks are all basically the same. The varmint stocks have a wider forend for shooting off a pack and are mainly configured for varmint hunting as the name suggests - where you will mostly be planting yourself someplace.

The basic tactical stock is similar to the varmint with a more rounded forend. There is also a version with are more vertical grip and one with adjustable cheek and butt.

It really depends on what your purpose and base rifle are. That's why I asked about the rifle configuration. And since you are already thinking about upgrading, you might want to consider a less expensive but still viable alternative which will let you put more into your glass now..

• 3 weeks later...

Well if you are talking about the H-S stocks from midway...the tactical has a more vertical grip and higher cheek weld that the varmit which is almost the same as the one u hve now except it offers a bedding block and free float barrel over the factory stock.

i would second graham on the bell and carlson, absolutely great stuff. if you are not making a custom rifle; just upgrading a rifle i wouldnt splurge for the hs precision. then with the money you save you can buy a nice leupold vxIII on ebay for $400 or less (thats where i get all my vx3 scopes)

you also talk about bottome metal. i was originally going to put an AIC adapter in but when i thougght about it that is really a waste of money for an F class rifle. it'll look cool since i have the hart barrel and mcmillan a5 stock but it will be a waste of money since it is unnecessary for the sport.

my other .308 has a factory detatchable mag on an hs precision police stock. i highly recommend this set up too.

now if you want something cool and cheap there is always choate stocks.

so what exactly is the purpose of the build?