Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pet load with Varget and TAC for 308

Full mag

I am looking for peoples pet loads with Varget and Tac for my 308 bolt gun. I see that Varget is a popular powder but I have some Tac I would like to try but I don't want to waste my time if nobody is having great luck with it, I will save it for my 223. I seems that what I have read about Varget is everyone seems to be at the top end of the load or a little over compared to what it says in the book, anybody having signs of pressure???? My Remington seems to have a chamber that goes on forever so I am just going to run 2.810 OAL. Thanks for the help and advice..... :cheers:

What barrel length? What distances? What kind of shooting? What kind of targets? These things all make a difference.

For example, I have a 20" barrel and for shorter distances, I can get an adequate ballistic curve with just about any bullet using Varget. But once I start to get out past 400yds, that powder is not giving me as much velocity as I would like due to the burn rate. On the other hand, if I use H4895 and a 155gr bullet, I can get close to 2800fps and a really good ballistic curve well past 600yds.

But, if I were just shooting within 200yds, I might make a completely different choice.

Edited by Graham Smith

What barrel length? What distances? What kind of shooting? What kind of targets? These things all make a difference.

The barrel is a 20" with ranges out to about 600yds with some paper and steel targets along with some whitetail and various other small game..

For example, I have a 20" barrel and for shorter distances, I can get an adequate ballistic curve with just about any bullet using Varget. But once I start to get out past 400yds, that powder is not giving me as much velocity as I would like due to the burn rate. On the other hand, if I use H4895 and a 155gr bullet, I can get close to 2800fps and a really good ballistic curve well past 600yds.

But, if I were just shooting within 200yds, I might make a completely different choice.

I'm using 44.7g Varget and 175g SMK's out of a Remington 5R Milspec. 24" barrel and getting 2720 fps. Loading them to 2.840"

14.25 MOA to 600 yds and 35.75 MOA to 1000 yds

I started to get flat primers at 44.9-45.0g. I did find a few different loads that shot well at 100yds. I think you'll find a couple of accuracy nodes with a little experimenting.

In my Remington 700, I was getting 1/2" groups at 200 yards, with Lapua Scenar, 155 grain bullets, in Lapua brass, with Varget behind them.

Even though I've been playing with Tac, and it SEEMS to be about equal to Varget, I haven't run any of my loads with Tac through my bolt gun, only my gas gun.