Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimp for Precision 200gr SWC

GregJ

Thought I would double check the crimp I've been using for Precison Bullets 200gr SWC, as I get what appears to be a fair amount of molly in the barrel after a match. I've been crimping .4695 to .470. I pulled a couple of bullets and the molly wasnt sheared off, and I usually have a pretty good bell on the case. Attached is a sample pic.

post-31828-0-25506000-1309213791_thumb.j

Yeah, I've read that on several posts here and on their web site. I'm using 5.4gr of W231, so it shouldnt be too hot/fast.

Edited by GregJ

Your crimp is fine. Just enough to remove the bell. A possible cause of moly shavings could very well be the bullet dragging against the ejection port when you are showing clear scraping off small amounts of moly when it ejects.

Yeah, I've read that on several posts here and on their web site. I'm using 5.4gr of W231, so it shouldnt be too hot/fast.

Sounds like a bit much to me when I use WST with 200gr SWS Precison bullets I use 4.7gr and W231 is usually only .1gr different. You didn't say what gun you are using or the barrel mfg. I know that my Sig's and CZ's will fowl with these bullets but my Caspian and STI run clean.

You might just have a rough barrel and a little polishing with FLITZ would slick it up.

When loading if your bell isn't enough it will have shaving around the edge of the brass and it will find its way to the shell plate. I've seen all kinds of crimp on these bullets and they still didn't fowl, but I just do a light crimp and it works fine, just give it the thumb test.

You didn't say what gun you are using or the barrel mfg.

CocoBolo, good point, the gun is a Kimber Gold Match II, stock barrel. I'll try down loading the powder (maybe 5.0gr) and see if this helps.

I have a nice flare and no molly is being shaved off when setting the bullet. I'm loading on a LNL with a Powder Funnel through expander for flaring the case, and a Hornady die adjusted to just seat the bullet and an RCBS taper crimp die.