Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Base Pad Tuning

Clint-M

Hey guys, I've been piecing together a Glock 22 for local competitions and purchased two Dawson base pads to see how I liked them. I decided on Dawson because they're just 30 minutes down the road from my house and I like supporting local shops more than sending my money elsewhere but I'm kind of regretting it now.

I received the pads and put them into a couple of new magazines I had lying around. Initially I only got 17 capacity and thought "Okay, you've seen the videos, this is normal." Break the magazine down like you do, grab a file, and take a bit off the rear just like in the video. Piece them back together, only 17. Maybe a little more filing, no problem there. A little more off, a little more wiggle room but couldn't fit another round. Again, take quite a bit off this time, round everything, smooth it with a fine file and put it back together. I can now squeeze my 18th round in barely. Same story for both base pads.

They've been sitting for over a week now, everyday I've been unloading and reloading hoping that I might get some help from the springs and magically slide the 18th and 19th rounds in but I'm still barely getting 18. I didn't expect to get a full 20 in, I know they're a bit picky based on others reviews but I was at least hoping for 18 rounds I could cycle through my pistol reliably. I'd really like to stand behind Dawson because I know so many others have had success with their products and the few I have picked up have been superb so my question is, what else can I do? $35 for +2 capacity is ludicrous and not even worth the hassle. Obviously time will allow the springs some give, but if I wait longer will the wear give that much space?

This is not a Dawson Precision bashing thread, so I hope no one takes it as such. I'm just looking for some help here. I've got 8 and 9 followers on the two magazines and I've done a small amount of smoothing to the inside of the magazines as well. I'm hesitant to take much off, just smooth. If these don't work out I don't want to have to buy new magazines also. Thanks for any help.

CM

Edited by Clint-M

Usualy the last couple rounds are tight when new but I could always get them in with a lula. When you beveled the back of the 8, did you just radius the back part down or did you radius the sides at the bottom as well. I have never had a problem getting a full 20 in any of my mags. I have never tried a 9 though. On the 8s all of them needed "tuned" and I got it down to about 4 min a mag. If you can scrounge up some #6 followers, give those a try. The are slimmer in the back than the 8s and I have had them drop in and fit perfect to a 20rounder with no tuning required. I managed to score some for free that were upgraded to newer followers

Didn't use any load assistance but round #18 takes all my strength to load and won't even load when I drop the slide on it. No way could I fit another round. I've taken quite a bit off the 8 follower, I don't even know if it will feed properly at this point but we'll see.

The only thing I could imagine at this point is the spring is just super powerful right now. Hopefully some break-in time will loosen it up but surely not for +2 on the capacity I get now. Any tips on that besides leaving them loaded? I'd be happy with 19 that feed reliably so that's what I'm trying to get.

CM

off the back or off the side of the back as well. I pretty much round the heck out of the bottom corner on the back. Just remember its not about shortening it its about butting a radius on it. If you can locate some 6 followers, I would try those.

Whole thing has been rounded, shortened, and smoothed. The rear and rear corners anyway. I'm beginning to think it is just the spring though. 18 seems like the follower should be past the lip, I'm going to order some #6's right now and if they don't fix it and if the spring doesn't loosen up by the time they get here I'll figure something else out. Thanks Eku.

CM

From about round 16 on try hitting the bottom of the mag on your palm after you load one to help settle the rounds some. You can also check inside the tube for flashing. A mag loader helps also

Edited by EkuJustice

I had this problem recently (18 or 19 TIGHT rounds) on a set of mags using the exact followers as the OP. Put in my old #6 followers and 20 rounds reloadable....

What does a #6 follower look like. I am having these same issues.

Damn I guess I'm lucky. I have 20 Glock mags with Dawson pads and they have all be perfect but 1. That 1 had the follower hanging up on the little plastic deal that's on the inside of the mag tube that holds the plastic exterior to the metal interior. A change if springs a few times fixed the problem.

On my tubes they all like to hang up around 16 to 18. I then smack it against my hand while applying a bit of pressure on the top round to bounce it past the flashing and they all take 20. Two are #8's and are the hardest to get 20 into but take 19 easily, two are #5 followers and take 20 real easy. One of them I bet I could get 21 but I am not going to push it that hard.

Arredondo's on my Glock mags gives me one more round than the Dawsons. Not sure why, but they do.

Edited to add: Arredondo base pads that is. Using stock Glock followers.

Edited by Mark R

I lucked into mine. Got some out of a buddys duty mags when he was planning on upgrading springs and followers in his mags. I took his scraps. The 6 follower has a slimmer back than the 8s. It also has a number 6 on it up where the slide stop is. The arredondo base pads are a touch longer. There was a post on here a while back about them not fitting the gauge due to the checkering on the bottom. Let me check my spare parts bin. If I can find a couple extra 8s I can modify them give them a test and send them to ya to see it that helps.

If you know someone with a glock a few years old you could always offer an upgrade to the newer followers lol. The new ones work great in factory mags just not so well with the base pads.