Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

divisional question

jlweems

I have no first hand experience with Steel Challenge matches. I was reading the rule book last night in an attempt to learn about the divisions. I saw mention of an IDPA division with equipment following IDPA rules. Does this mean concealment? Is the IDPA division on encompassing division, or is it broken down further into the individual IDPA divisions?

I'd also appreciate general information on the divisional breakdowns.

No concealment is required for our matches and I have never seen a Steel Challenge match use concealment. The only requirement would be using the surrender position for that division. Remember in IDPA, you don't have to use concealment with the qualification course so think of it in those regards...

I hope you can get out to a SC match, it's a ton of fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Division breakdown has changed I think but you need to look at the new provisional rules to be sure. Normally they used to allow IDPA subcategories in Limited division, meaning SSP, ESP, CDP, and revolver categories. you still shoot for the money in Limited division but they recognized the IDPA classes for special awards. I'm doing just the opposite as I'm trying to unmod my Limited Bul M-5 IPSC gun into IDPA ESP so I can use it instead of my HK USP C in SSP. Just enough so it will still be good in Limited at least.

New scoring software will change it further, "Limited" Is now Iron Sight Pistol.

I scored a match yesterday using the new program, only categories listed in the 2011 provisional rules are allowed. There is no way to created new categories unlike the old software. Shooters using non-comped Iron sighted semi autos will shoot ISP or Production if the gun is listed. Then re-entered and scores duplicated in order to be considered for any of the subcategories in which their gear may qualify them for. At least that is the way I saw it after spending 3hrs in front of my PC learning the new software.