Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr production powder . . .

Pro2AInPA

3.6gr at OAL 1.12", Fed primer, 1045ft/s velo, PF129 out of CZ Shadow at sea level.

THANKS!!! I've noticed that OAL has been all over the place for these loads. You're at the low end of the spectrum with 1.2 and others go all the way to 1.4 I've been using 1.100 for my Titegroup load that I've been running for a while now. I know I was getting some pressure signs even at 3.3gr Clays at 1.100" OAL so I think I'll let it out a bit and test again.

I get the shortening the OAL would give you more pressure, and lengthening can ease that pressure and allow you to load higher, but is there any kind of standard OAL for 9mm with 124gr bullets? I'm loading Bear Creek Moly bullets, so it's a bit of a lead bullet design. Do people just pick an OAL and test with that? If you get pressure signs, lengthen it a bit? Or are you lengthening/shortening the OAL to find your barrel's accuracy sweet spot? Seems like one could take forever testing loads this way...

Just for peace of mine, we are talking "Clays" when we say Clays-- not one of the two-word variations, ala "Universal Clays"?

Yes definitly CLAYS, not "Universal Clays" or "International Clays". All three are definitly diffrent. For anyone who hasn't used them and thinking of trying "Clays" make sure you get the normal Hogdon "Clays" and not the other two.

Sounds like we fixing to read about a CZ Kaboom. Clays if fast powder, short OAL's which really refer to small case volume, can result in unplesant head seperations and case splits as well as primer flow. I shoot 9 major so I'm no stranger to danger. When comparing OAL's you can do this with the same bullet profile not weight. Take a simple example a 200gr 40 bullet is .025 longer than 180gr bullet so in order to have the same case volume you need to load the 200gr .025 longer. Or take for example a 45 rn and a SWC, the RN oal is 1.200 the SWC 1.260 the case volume is about the same.

To figure out where your bullet profile stands you need to compare the length of your bullet to the one in the example load, to figure out how much bullet is in the case.

If you are seeing pressure signs, the sure way to get it to go Kaboom is to shorten it or just add some powder, or thow in some magnum primers.

I think that eveyone needs to try clays in 9 mm, I did, and well I wont' put my load here because you will blow up your gun with it. I load way longer than either of the posters 1.145 and yes it is a CZ Shadow Custom Shop. Clays shoots 147gr Zero JHP's very soft but the accuracy suffers, same goes for 124gr RN MTG, shoots like an air soft but the accuracy isn't there. So before you order 48#'s of Clays to save on hazmat be sure to check the accuracy at say 20-25 yards. I was getting 2" group with N320 loads and it spread to about 8" with clays, but I could really miss fast with it. (test on rest). You could have different results but you won't know till you test.

I have not shot any Moly bullets in my Shadow, I spent a ton of time cleaning Moly out of the wife's 75B, and my SIg226, and a couple other guns that just won't run them without excessive fowling. I have run BayouBullets in the gun and it was basically cleaner after shooting them. I run Moly bullets in my limited gun and SS with not issues. Save the Clays for the 45 its the perfect powder for 45 200gr.

TiteGroup is a little to violent for my shooting style in 9 mm, and it is very reverse temp sensative. My 170 pf 40 load at 90 turned into 189pf at 40, the bad part was I was shooting 200gr bullets and I considered myself very lucky it didn't go Kaboom. I must be a slow learner because I had a similar expierece 3 years later with 9 major and Silhouette at the same major match, 9 major at 184pf is no joking matter, don't try it at home.

The correct resonse to pressure signs is to drop the powder charge, load longer or go to a slower powder or both.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.6gr at OAL 1.12", Fed primer, 1045ft/s velo, PF129 out of CZ Shadow at sea level.

THANKS!!! I've noticed that OAL has been all over the place for these loads. You're at the low end of the spectrum with 1.2 and others go all the way to 1.4 I've been using 1.100 for my Titegroup load that I've been running for a while now. I know I was getting some pressure signs even at 3.3gr Clays at 1.100" OAL so I think I'll let it out a bit and test again.

I get the shortening the OAL would give you more pressure, and lengthening can ease that pressure and allow you to load higher, but is there any kind of standard OAL for 9mm with 124gr bullets? I'm loading Bear Creek Moly bullets, so it's a bit of a lead bullet design. Do people just pick an OAL and test with that? If you get pressure signs, lengthen it a bit? Or are you lengthening/shortening the OAL to find your barrel's accuracy sweet spot? Seems like one could take forever testing loads this way...

Just for peace of mine, we are talking "Clays" when we say Clays-- not one of the two-word variations, ala "Universal Clays"?

Yes definitly CLAYS, not "Universal Clays" or "International Clays". All three are definitly diffrent. For anyone who hasn't used them and thinking of trying "Clays" make sure you get the normal Hogdon "Clays" and not the other two.

Sounds like we fixing to read about a CZ Kaboom. Clays if fast powder, short OAL's which really refer to small case volume, can result in unplesant head seperations and case splits as well as primer flow. I shoot 9 major so I'm no stranger to danger. When comparing OAL's you can do this with the same bullet profile not weight. Take a simple example a 200gr 40 bullet is .025 longer than 180gr bullet so in order to have the same case volume you need to load the 200gr .025 longer. Or take for example a 45 rn and a SWC, the RN oal is 1.200 the SWC 1.260 the case volume is about the same.

To figure out where your bullet profile stands you need to compare the length of your bullet to the one in the example load, to figure out how much bullet is in the case.

If you are seeing pressure signs, the sure way to get it to go Kaboom is to shorten it or just add some powder, or thow in some magnum primers.

I think that eveyone needs to try clays in 9 mm, I did, and well I wont' put my load here because you will blow up your gun with it. I load way longer than either of the posters 1.145 and yes it is a CZ Shadow Custom Shop. Clays shoots 147gr Zero JHP's very soft but the accuracy suffers, same goes for 124gr RN MTG, shoots like an air soft but the accuracy isn't there. So before you order 48#'s of Clays to save on hazmat be sure to check the accuracy at say 20-25 yards. I was getting 2" group with N320 loads and it spread to about 8" with clays, but I could really miss fast with it. (test on rest). You could have different results but you won't know till you test.

I have not shot any Moly bullets in my Shadow, I spent a ton of time cleaning Moly out of the wife's 75B, and my SIg226, and a couple other guns that just won't run them without excessive fowling. I have run BayouBullets in the gun and it was basically cleaner after shooting them. I run Moly bullets in my limited gun and SS with not issues. Save the Clays for the 45 its the perfect powder for 45 200gr.

TiteGroup is a little to violent for my shooting style in 9 mm, and it is very reverse temp sensative. My 170 pf 40 load at 90 turned into 189pf at 40, the bad part was I was shooting 200gr bullets and I considered myself very lucky it didn't go Kaboom. I must be a slow learner because I had a similar expierece 3 years later with 9 major and Silhouette at the same major match, 9 major at 184pf is no joking matter, don't try it at home.

The correct resonse to pressure signs is to drop the powder charge, load longer or go to a slower powder or both.

Thanks for your insight. I've got a bunch of Clays on hand. I stared using it for .40 minor loads and found it to be a great powder for .45 as you've said. I was hoping years ago to get it to work for 9mm, but at 1.100" OAL I couldn't get it to meet minor.

Now I've loaded up some clays at 1.135" OAL and we'll what it chronos tomorrow out of my G34.