Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 Feeding Problems

I need some feedback if any of you had feeding problems with your M&P 40's and what have you done to fix it. We have been having more and more feeding problems with the rounds dying on the feed ramp. A simple bottom tap brings the gun into battery but these are duty guns and that won't cut it.

We shoot winchester factory white box ammo. The guns maybe have 2,500 rounds on them. Final straw today I had 3 failure to feeds shooting a requal 50 round course on mine which previously had not been a problem. I will be contacting the factory but if any of you have had this problem I would be interested in what you did to resolve it.

I have some thoughts myself about possible solutions. We could change to different factory ammo...maybe winchester had some quality control issues with weak rounds? Hotter ammo could increase or decrease the number of malfunctions. Try replacing the recoil springs and keep a better round count on them or maybe the magazine springs? This could take a while....

Thanks for your help folks!

Dave

My first suggestion is try a sample of different factory ammo as a comparison. Second suggestion is magazine dissassembly with a thorough cleaning and inspection of magazine guts.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need detailed contact info. We have several agencies here running the M&Ps in .40 and .45

We should be able to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that WWB in .40 could be too weak to run in an M&P. I ran all the way down to 120pf with no failures to function. 165 grain WWB runs about 172pf, and 180 grain WWB is higher. :surprise:

I would look at brushing the crud out of the mags, check the mag springs, and check for crud under the extractor. Also, make sure the extractor is pivoting properly. :cheers: