Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best drill for light vs heavy gun ???

blkbrd

The light vs. heavy gun theme has been hashed out many times, However.

None of these times has it been stated what practice drills will best work to find out what is best for you. Time vs. points is what its all about.

I am starting to experiment with a lighter gun to speed transitions and draws, it seems that I am swinging through targets rather than stopping at them.

I do love the way the heavy long brass and tungsten limited gun settles on far targets as I have been able to gain some good points this way, IE Florida Open stage 5 high limited point total, but its speed I need. And my light singlestack is faster on transitions and bill drills.

The parts are on the way, the rounds are loaded and timer ready.

I am thinking things like 10-20 yard bill drills? Plate rack at 10 and 25?

Since I'm going through a similar experiment (although it's short vs long rather than light vs heavy for me), here's what I've come up with.

Draw and 2 shots at 7, 10, 25 yds (Draw speed and indexing)

Bill drill (Recoil recovery)

Plate rack (Short transitions)

One target far left, one far right (Long transitions)

"Long range"

Targets on either side of a barricade

Throw in a few no shots from time to time and that seems to cover most of the basics. If you score consistently better with one of the two choices then that seems conclusive, once you're past the "new is better" factor.

What have I missed? I'll be interested in seeing your results. I just need to get the new gun and find a range where I can do this :wacko:

Kevin

For single-target control tests, Bill Drill's at 10 - 20 yds are tough to beat. And for indexing speed, The Speed Option is king. For a terrific challenge, try two shots on each Speed Option target.

be

Wow actual advice from BE what more could I ask for.

Well the weight reduction is done.

Changed from a 1,200 grain Wilson Tungsten guide rod to a Halfman Custom hollow titanium rod that weighs a whole 320grains. It is a nice piece of work.

Changed from a 900grain steel mainspring housing to a stock SVI plastic that weighs almost nothing.

Changed from a heavy brass Dawson ICE magwell to an Aluminum ICE.

Changed from a 54 grain steel hammer strut to a 28 grain STI titanium strut.

And the big change a 41 grain steel mainspring cap to a 16 grain STI Titanium cap.

The gun has a completly different personality.

On draws after I got used to feeling of almost throwing my gun at the plate rack I was faster on draws at 10, 20 and 30 yards.

Plates at 7, 10 and 20 were faster on avg.

Transitions seem to be speeding up, we will see at the match in the morning.

Reloads seem quicker and it is easyer to move while shooting as the gun does not bounce as much.

Didnt have any targets handy for billdrills, but the added recoil does not seem to hurt seeing my front sight, this is still a long dustcover gun.

Time and practice will tell.

Josh Halfman with Halfman Custom Handguns.

Halfmans Custom Handguns

He is set up for paypal now also.

It is a machined hollow titanium rod threaded and secured onto a machined steel base.

I believe its $35 plus $3.85 shipping to the east coast.

The titanium was weird, when I first put it in it hummed when you would cycle the gun by hand even coated with slide glide, after 400 rounds it has burnished out and is now quiet and smooth.

The gun has a completly different personality.

On draws after I got used to feeling of almost throwing my gun at the plate rack I was faster on draws at 10, 20 and 30 yards.

Plates at 7, 10 and 20 were faster on avg.

Transitions seem to be speeding up, we will see at the match in the morning.

Reloads seem quicker and it is easyer to move while shooting as the gun does not bounce as much.

Man, after years of experimenting with weight, I can relate to that statement. If you end up settling on that weight for awhile, six months down the road check your draw times again to see if anything changes.

On that topic it's not a bad idea to develop a set of bench marks, which you use to measure improvements over time. How long does it take you to reliably hit a ten-inch plate at 10, 15, and 25 yds, for example. And two shots into the A box of an IPSC target at the same distances. A plate rack at various distances, and Steel Challenge stages like Roundabout and Five to Go are other good examples.

be