Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Nose Bushing Replacement

SteelShooten

I have a 625-4. The hammer nose bushing shows signs of erosion due to a batch of defective primers.

post-13588-0-64171400-1307562649_thumb.j

Faced with the inconvenience of sending the handgun off to have a minor repair like this done prompts me to ask: what tools are needed to do the repair?

I have had both a 625-3 and a 610 with the same problem. My friend and gunsmith said it was best to send it back to S&W. Each time I had it returned to me within 10 days. Just my 2 cents worth but I think it was the best solution.

Thank you, everyone, for the sound advice.

Yes, it continues to work without a hiccup and 'would' be fine.

I was fortunate to have determined what was happening before the damage became more extensive. I am also fortunate that my Model 29 was not similarly 'bitten'.

I also have some flat guns that were tattooed by the same batch of primers. The autos are less damaged than the 625, and more difficult to repair, so they will remain as they are.

The primer manufacturer has indicated they will cover the repair costs. It looks like the 625 will be headed back to S&W as the safest course.

• 3 weeks later...

... hammer nose bushing erosion due to a batch of defective primers.

post-13588-0-64171400-1307562649_thumb.j

Its back!

post-13588-0-18719100-1309300087_thumb.j

Smith turned it around quickly. -kudos-

There's the new bushing (which they appear to have crimped in place) and they stoned the breechface to get it true again.

Now it will just take another ten thousand rounds to get that burnished look back.