Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool recommendations

SteelEye

Been studying the Miculek Trigger Job video and would like to begin, very carefully, to disassemble and put some wear on selected parts. Brownells sells a S&W do-alll-be-all kit for $400 but that's a bit steep for me.

Do I really need cupped punches? A set is $75 and I'm not sure I have more then 2 pins. Don't know which stone to buy and I could use a good screwdriver set too.

What do you guys use?

SteelEye

Steel,

You don't need any of that fancy crap. You do need a good screwdriver, one that actually fits the screw heads to avoid F'in up your screws. An Arkansas stone works fine, maybe some fine automotive sand paper if you really wanna make the parts shine. A small punch or dental pick to aid in putting some of the springs back in.

I'm not mechanically inclined at all and I don't typically do my own gunsmithing although I've been getting better at it. But since not to many folks do revo's I decided to try. With Miculek's video and the aformentioned tools it came out great. He makes it easy to understand and you'll end up with a fine trigger job.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email.

SteelEye,

I agree with SmittyFl, you don't need alot of tools to do a trigger job on a S&W revolver. I use a Sears Craftsman 4" screwdriver with an 1/8" tip. With that screwdriver and a small probe like the dental pick mentioned above, I can disassemble the gun completely.

I use my Lansky knife sharpener to do the stoning with only because I had it available when I started and it has done the job. I also use automotive rubbing compound between the rebound block and the frame where you cannot get a stone. But like Smitty said, just be sure that your screwdriver bit fits the screws or you will mess them up.

FWIW

dj

SteelEye: since you appear to have access to the Brownells catalog, I'd suggest the following

Screwdriver: Brownells Revolver Screwdriver set/S&W Revolver combo part #080-087-004 for $16.41 (page #159, Catalog #56) has bits for most screws on a S&W

Rebound slide spring tool, part #080-666-000 for $14.08 (page #125, Catalog #56)

These were the two tools that I used the most often in assembly/disassembly of S&W revolvers. As a Firearms Instructor/Armorer with the Federal Bureau of Prisons, I worked on S&W K-frame revolvers from 1984 to 1995, when our revolvers were replaced by 9MM automatics.

Other tools included a plastic mallet, assorted Arkansas stones, rubbing compound (as suggested by dajarrel) various brands of aerosol gunscrubbers to clean out the parts, nooks and crannies of the frame. Toothbrushes, pipecleaners, and Q-tips are also very handy.

A good lubricant, used in moderation (and we used a variety...most worked about as well as the others) before you reassemble the parts help.

Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The S&W Revolver, A Shop Manual" is a very great help. Brownells carries this book, part #924-100-001, for $18.95 (page #196, Catalog #56)

Hope this helps

One problem I ran across is the video and Kuhnhaussen book cover pre-transfer bar hammers. I don't know if this is a problem yet. After I took off the side plate and got the main spring off, nothing else would come out. In Jerry's video, he just pulls everything out. Does this have anything to do with the new parts, including the lock under the thumb release?