Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning sketchup

bluenite

All this T1-T3-T5 stuff is too much for my feeble brain in a match.

I would probably 0 the stage if I shot it with you, on procedurals alone.

I still screw up at times just counting to 6.

I am going to put all the files (.jpg, .doc, .skp) up on the net.

I will post the URL once it is done.

Leonard

Yeah, I meant T4. It'll be pretty obvious when standing in front of the targets, but it'll probably also quickly become not obvious when the buzzer goes off... which was the point: Fast shots, fast reloads, but with control. :-)

Thanks for posting the files. When I tried a few minutes ago, the files still weren't available (404 errors), but it's probably just slow uploads.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was my fault I wrote the files and directory, and then when I uploaded I noticed I all ready had a directory for this and used it so the path was wrong and I did not test it. :wacko:

So I just fixed the links and it should work now.

Leonard

There is an issue with the .doc files The website brings up a password box, must be cause I did not set the files to read only,

clicking cancel on the box will get the file.

Leonard

Leonard,

Once you create your stage in Sketckup and physically delete all non-used props, go to menu, click on Window, then Model Info, then click on button that says Purge Unused. That way sketchup will remove stored props in the file and reduce the file size of the sketchup file. Then you can export or whatever you want to do...with a smaller file of course.

Mark R

That is good information to know,

Thanks much

I used to run my computer as the server, with a 40m Internet speed,

Had to move and have satellite now, .5 for speed, can’t run as server so had to use a host, file size is now important.

Leonard

Leonard,

Once you create your stage in Sketckup and physically delete all non-used props, go to menu, click on Window, then Model Info, then click on button that says Purge Unused. That way sketchup will remove stored props in the file and reduce the file size of the sketchup file. Then you can export or whatever you want to do...with a smaller file of course.

Mark R

Learn something new every day. :o

WOW !

What a difference a little knowledge makes, my file went from 3.52 mb to 850 kb.

Thank you Mark R. :cheers:

Here is what I am working on but have some problems, I wanted to use drop turners at the door, set to offer a full view through the ports and activated by the door to hide them after the door was opened, but my understanding of the rules makes them disappearing targets if I do this, and that is not what I want, so I had to put in extra barriers to hide them from the door and something in the wsb to make them off limits after the door is opened “drop turners may also set the target height to high”.

Not sure of the wording on this “could use some help” less words and no loop holes would be great.

Start Position:

Lying in chair, legs crossed and flat to chair, bottom heel lined up with center of chair.

Back firmly against chair, hands overlapped and in full contact with base of back of head.

Unloaded gun and all ammo and ammo loading devices (mags, clips, speed loaders, ect.) inside briefcase, briefcase is fully on table and latched shut but not locked.

Stage Procedure:

On start signal pass through first door, retrieve gun and ammo and engage targets as visible.

“more options that I don’t know the best way to word”

T3 and T4 must be engaged before door 2 is opened.

T3 and T4 cannot be engaged after door 2 is opened

Thanks in advance for any help.

Leonard

post-17026-0-65198900-1307988419_thumb.j

Stage Procedure:

On start signal pass through first door, retrieve gun and ammo and engage targets as visible.

"more options that I don't know the best way to word"

T3 and T4 must be engaged before door 2 is opened.

T3 and T4 cannot be engaged after door 2 is opened

1.1.5.1 Let's you stipulate where or when targets maybe engaged, but remember that is only allowed for Level I. For Level II and above, you'll have to make it happen by stage design.

Ditch the gimmick of the chair... what's the point, other than to see who can get up the quickest? Start behind the door if you must, but why even have the door? Just put a wall there and make the shooter go around. Try not to make the stages too "complicated" just to make them move. If you want movement, use the opportunities to make them shoot while moving, not just run across the shooting area from point to point.

Stage Procedure:

There is no designated shooting area. After retrieving the gun and ammo, the shooter is free to charge the targets if they want to. This sets up a dangerous situation if they get too close to the steel targets.

How about this for a WSB...

Start with strong hand on door handle, upon start signal open door, retrieve pistol and engage targets as they become available within the shooting area. Initial loading device must come from inside briefcase.

If you make all shooters retrieve all ammo loading devices from the briefcase, you just put all your revolver, L10, and production shooters at a big disadvantage. By using the initial device from the briefcase, allows them to make subsequent reloads from the belt, thus evening up the stage for all (within limits of division of course).

Game is freestyle, why not let them shoot it freestyle?

just my 2 cents.

Edited to add: Sorry Single-stack folks, didn't mean to leave you out.

Edited by Mark R

Here is what I am working on but have some problems, I wanted to use drop turners at the door, set to offer a full view through the ports and activated by the door to hide them after the door was opened, but my understanding of the rules makes them disappearing targets if I do this, and that is not what I want, so I had to put in extra barriers to hide them from the door and something in the wsb to make them off limits after the door is opened “drop turners may also set the target height to high”.

Sorry, just went back and re-read your question. If the door activates the drop turners, how can they be deemed off limits after the door is opened? Confused but I think I see what you are trying to do.

Can you place the drop turners at 90 degrees so they start in "engagable" and stop in hidden fashion. Yes they may be disappearing, but would you really want to pass them up and loose 20 points on the stage. I'd take a crack at them for the points.

Here is what I am working on but have some problems, I wanted to use drop turners at the door, set to offer a full view through the ports and activated by the door to hide them after the door was opened, but my understanding of the rules makes them disappearing targets if I do this, and that is not what I want, so I had to put in extra barriers to hide them from the door and something in the wsb to make them off limits after the door is opened "drop turners may also set the target height to high".

Sorry, just went back and re-read your question. If the door activates the drop turners, how can they be deemed off limits after the door is opened? Confused but I think I see what you are trying to do.

Can you place the drop turners at 90 degrees so they start in "engagable" and stop in hidden fashion. Yes they may be disappearing, but would you really want to pass them up and loose 20 points on the stage. I'd take a crack at them for the points.

Assuming opening the second door activates them and makes them disappearing targets, I can potentially gain 20 points, but not lose anything if I don't shoot them or completely miss. If they were not disappearing targets then I stand to lose 40 points if I miss them and lose an additional 20 points if I fail to even try shooting them. This changes the dynamic of the stage. If they are disappearing targets, I can opt to shoot at both of them, one of them, or none of them depending on what I think will give me the best hit factor. If they don't disappear, I'm compelled to shoot at them.

Personally, I would setup something like a clamshell with the target on the ground or leaning back as diagrammed. With the door closed, the shooter gets a full view of the targets. When the door is opened, no-shoots flop down to cover the lower A-zone, but still leave the upper A panel available.

Any which way: drop turner or clamshell, resetting is going to be painfully slow because of the tight quarters around those targets.

Edited by Skydiver

Yes that is what I had in mind "less barriers to set up", or a cover that drops activated by the door to cover the ports.

As for the ammo in the briefcase, all divisions are equal there, not much you can do to make a revolver equal to a big stick in most stages, the idea was to give the shooter a problem to solve "store some shoot 1 handed, store all shoot 2 handed, ect.".

I have shot and seen shot stages that had the shooter start on a bed, and seen them contort in to positions I did not know were possible untill I seen it, just to get an advantage. Thats why I got extensive on the start position. The chair and door are only a step or two apart same with the door and table so it is not a foot race. And I think that if a shooter has a bad back or knees or such they can take a penalty and start standing with back to door "I may be wrong here".

The idea was to simulate relaxing in back yard and having left gun/ammo inside house.

And to not have the very common "standing ready to shoot" start position.

Leonard

Any which way: drop turner or clamshell, resetting is going to be painfully slow because of the tight quarters around those targets.

That was the idea behind not using so many barriers.

Leonard

The only clam shell's I've seen required a popper, targets are to close for a popper, but the clamshell idea would be what I was trying to do.

The falling popper pulls a pin on the clamshell in those situations. For your setup, you can have the door pull the pin on the clamshells, much the same way you'll have the door (or pressure pad) pull the pin or stick from the drop turner.

The truck is just cut out cardboard painted black stapled to the targets to make hard cover.

Once inside the walls doors and fault line are all fault lines.

But what are you faulting? There is no designated shoot area to fault out of.

That might work, but would the steel frame be a hazard

Yes, it'll be a hazard much the same way a drop turner, swinger or metal target stand would be up close. Need to setup shoot angles to keep shooters safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how this will work on the ground, may set up a barrel and targets tomorrow to check. My main concern is the RO’s having to check grease rings on the targets lined up with the barrels, as they are shoot targets from one side of the barrel and noshoots from the other, not even sure that’s legal, but have not found anything saying it is not.

Giving them a slight angle to the side of the barrel their shot from may help.

Thought about putting a noshoot on the center target between the barrels, for head shot only, but undecided as of yet.

Leonard

post-17026-0-21054300-1309296439_thumb.j

Leonard...it looks like in some instances/locations, you could possibly have shoot-throughs on the lay back targets depending on the actual layout. Maybe a double stack on the front barrels and then lift the rear targets up to normal height could work and alleviate the shoot through possibility. FWIW.