Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advise on springs, followers, basepads

lawboy

Hi, all. I am new here. I am going to build a limited gun. I have six STI mags, 18-rounders. I want to turn them into 20-rounders and also rebuild them. I like the Dawson basepads but I don't know whose springs and followers to buy. I do know those bits make a difference but I don't know what the differences are, who makes them or where to get them. Need a basic tutorial on mags. Thanks!

The grams followers will need fitting, or your slide stop will need fitting, as they lock back with rounds still in the chamber as they are. A simpler route is Dawson SNL's, Dawson followers and stock springs, Throw your tubes in your brass tumbler and as long as they are straight you should get 20 to 21 rounds.

The grams followers will need fitting, or your slide stop will need fitting, as they lock back with rounds still in the chamber as they are. A simpler route is Dawson SNL's, Dawson followers and stock springs, Throw your tubes in your brass tumbler and as long as they are straight you should get 20 to 21 rounds.

Ok I was not going to post, because I've never used Grams in 40, I use them and they are good in 38SC and 9 major. In 40 I use the Dawson Follower, and it has been rock solid 100%. I have no use for an STI follower in 40 not 100%. The most import aspect is reliability, and I mean repeatable reliability. Having the slide lock back is a preference, having the last round feed reliably is mandatory, I also use the SNL pads and so far all of the mags have fit the guage, all 10 of them. Shooting limited I plan 16 shots, once I ran a 22rd COF without a reload, stupid but I made it without having to make up a shot, if I had run out premature it would have cost a couple seconds more than a good planned reload.