Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Gear XDM slide stop

hgr2

I recently installed a Pistol Gear extended slide stop in my XDM 40. The first range trip the thing locked my slide open at least 3 times on the first magazine. I finally had to finish the stage with my thumb holding the thing down. Am I bumping the thing on with my thumb during recoil, or is inertia causing the thing to jump up and lock the slide? And yes I made the mistake of shooting the thing without testing prior to the match. Did I install it incorrectly? Has this happened to someone else?

I had it happen with the stock slide stop very frequently with th 40 xdm. Found some info that talked about the bullet nudging the internal part of slide stop up and thus locking. Put the custom from Pistol Gear in and it seems to do the trick most of the time. Think that some 40's do this more than others.

• 1 month later...

My XDm 9mm does this a lot, I have been passing it off that I get my thumb too high, but now it makes me wonder. Did you notice this problem before the install of the new slide stop? and have you fired strong/weak hand only to see if that corrects it?

On XDm, the slide stop is positioned to make it supremely easy to reach without turning gun in hand. To see if it's the gun or your grip, shoot a couple mags where you are looking to make sure you are not touching the slide stop with your strong hand thumb or the area between your wrist and thumb on support hand, All this assumes a right handed grip.

Rob