Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun Match- evaluate my performance please

EurAzn12

I'm by no means an expert or a pro. But to help a Heavy Metal brother out, here are a couple of things to try...

On Stage 2 and 3, you shot your rifle on the table using your magazine as a monopod. Try to set your forearm on the table itself instead of monopoding off the magazine. I found this to be a more stable shooting platform as your not balancing the front and rear of the rifle at its midpoint. By using the table, the front end of your rifle is more stable. Also in this position, you can somewhat hold down the rifle to the table and it would reduce the recoil and time it takes to re-acquire your sights.

On Stage 3, after moving from the prone position to the next position, you fired off 5 rounds before going completely empty and had to do a standing reload. Standing reload eats time so try to do your reloads while on the move. Counting your rounds or estimating how many rounds is left in your gun would also help you decide if you need to reload while moving to avoid a standing reload.

Other than that, you shoot well. Where is Summit Point located at? Looks like they put on very good stages.

Stage 1: when starting at port-arms, try to align the front sight or tip of the barrel between you and the target, You'll save maybe a sec when mounting and pointing to the target after the beep. I'm not a pump guy (thankfully) but there are times in the first video that that you don't immediately re-cock the shotgun, not all the time, but there are diffierent pauses. Also Shotgun loading.

Stage 2 & 3, Rifle was your ending weapon. As the poster above me said get both elbows on the table to get more of a tripod effect. Myself, I'd probably placed the rifle a little closer to the shooting mat and take the shots prone, the time I'd lose getting into the prone I would make up on how fast I can engage the rifle targets more efficiently from the prone since getting up wont be on the clock.

Stage 4: You spend 10 secs after the beep getting into the prone and hitting your first target. It takes you about 3 secs to shuffle to the right to align for the paper targets and then it takes you a additional several secs to get up and start running. I can't really tell how far the rifle targets were, but this is a good time to learn how to shoot offhand, it might be a little slower to get all your hits, but your also not wasting as much time on wasted movement, if you have a hard time shooting offhand taking a knee will give you a little more stability and will only cost you a little more time in movement than going prone and then getting up. You also get into a shooting area then aim, when your several feet away from your shooting area, try getting a overall sight picture on your target and have that rifle pointed at the target as your hitting the box, it may seem slower but you'll eliminate the wasted movement. Also you seemed to hug against the wall, which required you to lift the rifle up when moving to the left side of it. Theres no reason to be that close to the wall if your shooting offhand so take a step to the right that way you can swing the rifle more natural as your running to the other side.

Stage planning was a bit off on every stage, a lot of unneeded back and forth movement.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as its really my first year shooting 3gun seriously.

also if you continue to want to shoot the Scar-H, then you might need to invest in a scope, reddot, prismatic, or Something.. The irons sights on them will leave you wanting something more.

Edited by DocMedic

I'm by no means an expert or a pro. But to help a Heavy Metal brother out, here are a couple of things to try...

On Stage 2 and 3, you shot your rifle on the table using your magazine as a monopod. Try to set your forearm on the table itself instead of monopoding off the magazine. I found this to be a more stable shooting platform as your not balancing the front and rear of the rifle at its midpoint. By using the table, the front end of your rifle is more stable. Also in this position, you can somewhat hold down the rifle to the table and it would reduce the recoil and time it takes to re-acquire your sights.

On Stage 3, after moving from the prone position to the next position, you fired off 5 rounds before going completely empty and had to do a standing reload. Standing reload eats time so try to do your reloads while on the move. Counting your rounds or estimating how many rounds is left in your gun would also help you decide if you need to reload while moving to avoid a standing reload.

Other than that, you shoot well. Where is Summit Point located at? Looks like they put on very good stages.

Stages 2 and 3 I was actually testing to see if the SCAR would have a FTF due to the pressure on the magazine since I haven't run that many rounds through it and I wanted to really test its reliability. For future reference though I'll for sure base it on the table. Thanks for noticing that. Summit Point is located in West Virginia at Summit Point Raceway http://spshooters.com/

Stage 1: when starting at port-arms, try to align the front sight or tip of the barrel between you and the target, You'll save maybe a sec when mounting and pointing to the target after the beep. I'm not a pump guy (thankfully) but there are times in the first video that that you don't immediately re-cock the shotgun, not all the time, but there are diffierent pauses. Also Shotgun loading.

Stage 2 & 3, Rifle was your ending weapon. As the poster above me said get both elbows on the table to get more of a tripod effect. Myself, I'd probably placed the rifle a little closer to the shooting mat and take the shots prone, the time I'd lose getting into the prone I would make up on how fast I can engage the rifle targets more efficiently from the prone since getting up wont be on the clock.

Stage 4: You spend 10 secs after the beep getting into the prone and hitting your first target. It takes you about 3 secs to shuffle to the right to align for the paper targets and then it takes you a additional several secs to get up and start running. I can't really tell how far the rifle targets were, but this is a good time to learn how to shoot offhand, it might be a little slower to get all your hits, but your also not wasting as much time on wasted movement, if you have a hard time shooting offhand taking a knee will give you a little more stability and will only cost you a little more time in movement than going prone and then getting up. You also get into a shooting area then aim, when your several feet away from your shooting area, try getting a overall sight picture on your target and have that rifle pointed at the target as your hitting the box, it may seem slower but you'll eliminate the wasted movement. Also you seemed to hug against the wall, which required you to lift the rifle up when moving to the left side of it. Theres no reason to be that close to the wall if your shooting offhand so take a step to the right that way you can swing the rifle more natural as your running to the other side.

Stage planning was a bit off on every stage, a lot of unneeded back and forth movement.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as its really my first year shooting 3gun seriously.

also if you continue to want to shoot the Scar-H, then you might need to invest in a scope, reddot, prismatic, or Something.. The irons sights on them will leave you wanting something more.

In shooting heavy metal, I have to stick with irons, unless the match is big enough to offer heavy metal optics division.

Thanks on all the other advice though too. I noticed I was crowding the wall.

Being a life long high power shooter and NRA expert, I feel my off hand is pretty solid, however, that stage had a time limit of 120 seconds and only five people finished the whole stage. There were a few who tried it offhand (it's at 100yds), and they got held up there and didn't even get to the shotgun transition so I played it safe with shootin prone.

Stage 2 (the first stage my squad shot) was my first time firing my new Benelli and doing a reload in competition was during this match haha so yes I have lots to practice. I have some snap caps that I practice with frequently now...

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND HELP SO FAR! :cheers:

In general, the guns should be up and lined up on the first target with one or two steps away from the shooting box or position. You also take 2 or 3 steps once you enter the boxes which is not needed and a waste of time. In most positions, you could have saved 3 or 4 seconds by having the gun up and shooting as the trail foot lifted to come into the shooting box. Everytime you move with the shotgun, you should be loading. You moved 3 or more steps several times with a partial load and then ended up needing to do a standing load.

So, on stage 1, at the buzzer, take a step, shoot the three on the right and then, when you move up, put 3 more shells in the shotgun. That array on the left, should have been shot right to left so you could be moving towards the next position on the last targets without being held by the wall. When you finally got to the 3rd position, you went in too deep. Stay back, saves time and makes the movement to the next postion smoother.

Practice offhand and kneeling on the clock with rifle. All of the rifle shots looked like they were very hitable off-hand.

On the poppers with flipper clays, you should be able to eventually hit 2 or 3 poppers and then get the clays. Saves lots of time. Practice it to see what you can do on the clock so when you see a presentation, you know what you can do with it.

Hope you had fun, nice win in HM.

MarkCO- thanks for the advice, I see what you mean about reloading while moving. That can save me a lot of time. I thought about doing multiple hits on the poppers but they weren't reliably throwing them up in the air as you saw the 2nd one came straight for me, the guy before me the 3rd one did that to him so I didn't wanna risk missing one due to that.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.